• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI master-L with 2100+ MPs... which HSF??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheSanch

Hey, i'm curious as to what heat sinks fan combos you guys are using. watercooling is too expensive for my budget, so thats out. I'm curious becuase i'm not sure if there is enough room in there to put two big heat sinks. any ideas and recommmendations would be welcome!

AX7's
nuff said really... i have a friend with an early tyan board that got some runnin on there, and the tyans are alot more constricted then the MSI...

What Fan should i use on there? I dont want it to be too loud.

Thanks again.

SLK-800s are the best...they actually fit unlike the AX-7s(you have to chop them up with a dremel to fit them in) and are supposadly better than the AX-7s...

go for them for the 800s....any any fan is ok...try to get like a 40CFM fan or so

Spec

now, i'm not sure of myself... the AX7s are so much cheaper and seem to be great heatsinks. I think i might save some money and go with the AX7s. Thanks for your help

Either heatsink will be great. I suggest you get Enermax manually adjustabe 80mm fans for them. You can dial in just the right amount of cooling/noise ratio and they are fairly quiet at all but the highest speed.

Also, make sure you have a case with good airflow, preferably, with at least two exhaust fans in addition to the PSU. Can't say enough about that, because you've got two, highly efficient heaters inside that case keeping things pretty toasty for all of your components and they can only get as cool as the air around them.

yes the AX-7 is very good....but you have to have a dremel and the balls to hack away at the heatsink since it will NOT fit the MSI nor many other boards....it is just so damn big:D

Spec

SK6's with rotated 80MM fans are pretty good for about half the price of SLK800's.

SLK600's would be worth mentioning as well.

the SLK-600s seem to be a little cheaper and still produce great cooling. i think i'll go with those, if they fit. I assume if the SLK800s fit the slk 600s would too?

Volcano 9's from thermatech fit my MSI k7D board. Easy fit, keeps my procs cool, am at 10.5 *150 FSB stock voltages.

2100+ CPUs at stock speed don't need a whole lot of HSF themselves, just a lot of case cooling when run in pairs.

If you're not overvolting or overclocking much then the retail AMD HSFs will work fine. Otherwise some nice lightweight beefier aluminum HSFs will serve well, like a Glaciator Lite or the Taisol monsters.

The best that would be guaranteed to fit would be the Millenium Glaciator II.

TheSanch said:
I was thinking of the SLK-800? would those fit?

You could watercool for very close to the price of two SLK-800's and the fans:

http://becooling.safeshopper.com/

Radiator $ 28.99 $ 28.99
Tygon R-3603 Lab Grade 3/8' Tubing $ 2.35 $ 11.75
6pk of Hose Clamps $ 3.99 $ 3.99
HWLabs Blaze and Clip $ 29.99 $ 59.98
Assembled Via Aqua 1300 --
Barbs : 1/2" $ 21.99 $ 21.99
Delta 120mm Fan Low/High speed with 4 pin connector --
Hookup : 7v 80CFM $ 13.99 $ 13.99
(+~$10 S&H - yes, their shipping is that low.)
= $ 150.69

www.Newegg.com

2 SLK800 = $90
2 Vanatec Stealth = $24
Shipping = $22
= $136

Well, i do plan to overclock them, so a little extra cooling will be nessary. I also plan to go with a Cheiftec case with a side intake fan from newegg.com.

this is my mothers computer too so watercooling is out of the question. maybe later in the future.

sk6 can be had for $13 at newegg.

edit: are there no long term side effects of having two heavy heatsinks on a dual motherboard?

Back