• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new system, comments?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrHatchet87

Registered
I'm going to build a new system soon, and I wanted to get some comments before I commit. This is a replacing most of my current rig, all I'm keeping is my monitor and speakers. Well, here's the set-up:

CPU: P4 1.8A
MB: Epox 4G4A+
RAM: Corsair 512 3000C2
Case: Directron SF-201B (aka Super Flower 201, Kingwin 436)
PSU: Sparkle Power 350W refurb (from Newegg = quality refurb)
HDD: WD 800JB
DVD: Pioneer Slot Load
CDRW: Lite-On 40x12x48x
Sound: Integrated
NIC: Integrated

And that's all the important stuff, I'm holding out on a vid card for now, I'm going to wait for some of the upcoming releases, I'll probably end up getting a Radeon 9500 Pro (9700 Pro's too rich for me). I'll just use integrated video in the meantime (I know it's gonna suck, but I'll make do). With what I've listed, it comes out to roughly $800, which I think is very reasonable. Anyways, so lemme know what you think. If I can convince my dad, I'm going to order tomorrow.
Oh yeah, I don't really want to wait much for this system, this old 450 mhz AMD isn't quite cutting it anymore (this was built before I really knew anything about PC hardware).

Looks like a very nice machine, but I would personally spring for a larger hard drive:) and a Gforce4. Good CPU speed, power supply will work, nice board, integrated sound is ok. I have had nothing but problems with very fast CD burners (medium errors on slow write speed disks), so you might want to spring for a higher quality, lower speed CD writer.

Unless you're installing Windows XP, GET A SOUND CARD.
I still recommend getting one, because I have yet to find a capable onboard sound solution. They tend to have memory timing and resource conflict issues (and poor sound quality). Windows XP finally addressed those problems and works much better with them, but I still prefer PCI solutions.

Back