• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kernel too big for floppy....help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firebird79

how can we reduce the size of the kernel that will fit into the floppy? i just finish recompile the new kernel and want to make a boot disk. when i do the mkbootdisk, it stop half way and said run out of disk space. any idea how to solve this problem??

Are you making a bzImage? It's compressed and takes up less space. You should also try to compile some drivers as modules instead.

Be very specific about what you compile, ie, only the IDE chipset driver that you need, leave out SCSI if you dont have SCSI drives etc.

David

well....i used the same configuration are the previous kernel setup(2.4.18-3). the previous kernel still can fit into a floppy disk. i try to recompile and dump some junk stuff.....

i thinks that is RH 2.4.18-10. but now i change to linux-2.4.19, and everything done.....even my acpi problem also solved there(still has some minor problem, but okey for that). thanks for help!!!

:)

Back