• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using an AGP and a PCI vid card at the same time...??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dim

Registered
Hiyya all,

As you can see by the title of the post, I have heard that I can use an AGP vid card and a PCI card to make a fast dualhead.

I have a Matrox G450(which is of course already dual) and I just picked up a Radeon 8500LE. I am primarily into editing video, but already do a tiny bit of 3d stuff with After effects, and want to get into full bore 3d (maya etc.)

So my question is: can I use my matrox (which has badass 2d perf) and my Radeon (which has much better 3d perf) and somehow keep 2 monitors plugged in and on; using one for my 2d and one for my 3d??? Maybe this is a completely stupid idea :beer: , but I figured someone here could give me a fairly good answer!

Thx,

Dim

If the cards support it then they will work, some do some dont.

How to find out? Plug them both in and turn the computer on, when Windows starts to boot a message will come on the secondary card telling you it will support the card. Then you can load the drivers for it.

I guess if no message shows up then it wont support that particular card/combo

Yup, you should have no problems doing this. By default, windows normally sees the AGP as the default video card, so that will always be used for 3D anyway.

I dropped a trident 2D card in my older system about a year ago just to try this out. When ever I started a game, it always went to my normal AGP video card (ATI radeon 32MB card at the time). Good luck

Back