Notices

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Seti Team
Seti Team Search the stars with Overclockers SETI Team! Is ET really out there? How do worm holes and black holes work? We can find out with your help.
Forum Jump

just thought I'd let you all know

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-28-02, 09:42 PM Thread Starter   #1
Krusty
Insane Overclocking Clown

10 Year Badge

just thought I'd let you all know

I found myself a lone cruncher in one of my computer science classes today. Such a waste of work units...

Anyways, I think I convinced him to join our team here. And best of all, his main cruncher is a dual p4 xeon 2Ghz. He said he completes WUs in about an hour on average...only running one instance of seti. This means he'll hopefully be busting out a WU every 30 mins.

So, just because I can no longer afford to keep my puter on and use up extra juice doesn't mean I'm not trying to contribute.

Old 09-28-02, 10:38 PM   #2
TC
Senior Seti Addict

10 Year Badge

That's great - hope he joins. I'm not sure about his times though. I owned an identical unit and it averaged about 3.5 hours per unit running one client per cpu.

Old 09-28-02, 11:05 PM   #3
JigPu
Inactive Pokémon Moderator

10 Year Badge

Yeah... 1hr sounds kinda low to me.... Perhaps you could persuade him to run the benchmark so we can see how fast it is, and if it's stable. I'd hate to see a waste of possible ET data.... Besides, if he does get 1hr times, he'll own the database! What a great reason to get him to run it!

JigPu

.... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
.... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
.... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
.... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
"GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.
JigPu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-29-02, 12:41 PM   #4
jokrswild

maybe he's running hyperthreading and can complete 4 in 4 hours, not 1 in one hour. my 2.26 oc'd to 2.8 can do them in just under 3 hours..
jokrswild is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-30-02, 07:14 AM   #5
Greg M

He's smoking something.
...not WU's.

2 Xeon DP 2.0's will not do 1 WU every 1 hour or 4 WU in 4 Hours. A 2.2 will average 4 WU's about every 5.5 Hours. That's running .NET Enterprise RC-1 which is optimized for HyperThreading. That's about 5 minutes/WU faster than W2K Advanced Server. The real advantage for HyperThreading is with the larger cached MP's.

If he's only doing one at a time, what's he doing with the other processor?

Last edited by Greg M; 09-30-02 at 10:23 AM.
Greg M is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-30-02, 11:07 AM Thread Starter   #6
Krusty
Insane Overclocking Clown

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg M
If he's only doing one at a time, what's he doing with the other processor?
When I told him he can run 2 instances of seti to make use of the other processor, he seemed a bit surprised. I think he just didn't know you can run 2 instances to use 2 cpus.

Old 09-30-02, 03:21 PM   #7
LandShark
Super Shark Moderator

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by Krusty

When I told him he can run 2 instances of seti to make use of the other processor, he seemed a bit surprised. I think he just didn't know you can run 2 instances to use 2 cpus.
the main reason to run 1 client per cpu is b/c seti@home isn't multithreaded! therefore, it can only use one cpu at a time for every single cpu. that's why since 1 client can only use 1 cpu, being having 2-4 cpus in a system, you could run 2-4 client at the same time.

Got SOLD? MOVE your own thread!

Folding User Stats
How many GHz of Intel + Nvidia folding power? Dunno! Lost count!

| F@H Vista Sidebar gadget | F@H Yahoo Widget | F@H iGoogle gadget |

| My Heatware | My New HTPC 3.0: Server/Client setup + Better energy efficiency |
LandShark is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Seti Team
Seti Team Search the stars with Overclockers SETI Team! Is ET really out there? How do worm holes and black holes work? We can find out with your help.