• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this suffice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i810 Forever

I will be getting an Athlon XP 1600+ & other necessary parts hopefully this week, and to cool it I have a Thermosonic Thermoengine w/ 60mm Delta 40cfm and AS3. Will this be sufficient to cool a 1600+ at stock speeds? overclocked? ...if not, any better coolers for hopefully $20 or under? TIA

should be fine for stock, and a bit of an overclock...if i aint mistaken, i'm pretty sure someone here is runnign an XP on a
thermo engine at 1.8...but not sure.

that delta is gonna be loud as hell, best have ear muffs.

Yeah, get an 80mm cooler of some sort. I had a 40 CFM 60mm and it's really bad. I also run an 85 CFM 80mm fan now and it's not that bad... For a tiny fan with short fins like a 60mm it needs to rotate amazingly fast, like 8300 RPM, which makes for a nasty noise. My fan doing 85+ CFM still only spins at ~5900 RPM, less noise.

--Illah

I'm using the 60mm Delta in my HP now due to the fact that the 10mm fan on my CoolJag died and I had nothing else to put on it. :(

It's really loud :( , but I've dealt with it for a while and it isn't really bothersome. I should be able to survive with it until I get some better cooling.

Another Question- is getting a shim for the chip worth it? I've installed & uninstalled heatsinks on my CuMine in my HP at least a dozen times without any trouble, but the XP cores are supposed to be more fragile. Should I just relax and install the hsf like I have done on the CuMine, or should I put $10 towards a Shim if it'll prevent me from winding up with a keychain?

Back