• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX-7 With Smart Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kalgregor

I am about to buy a new computer, probably a XP2700+ with an AX-7. Does anyone have one of these running with a smart fan on it? (such as thermaltakes smartfan 1 or 2, or an antec smartfan). Is it wise to put one of these on a cpu cooler, do they respond quickly enough to changes in cpu temperature?

i have the ax-7 with the smart fan II from a V9 hs. i think the combo does a nice job of cooling. i don't overclock so that is another issue. i would suggest that if you are going to go all out and spend dollars on that cpu you should go all out on the baddest hs. i have no experiences with swiftech but others in here will. my experience with thermalright has always been good. my suggestion is the slk-800 all copper with either the delta 80mm @ 82cfm fan or the vantec tornado 84.1cfm. the tornado being probably cheaper in your area over the delta.

anyone else?

ok on the XP 2700 i doubt they will be out any time soon.... we are still wating for the tbread rev b which was released a month ago... unless ofcourse you want to buy a lot of 1000 - 2000 chips when they first come out and sell them to us :D

now as for the ax7 it totally kicks @SS im hittin 48c full load with 1.8v vcore and a whopping 400mhz overclock with a delta 68cfm fan i tried it with a sunnon 39cfm fan for a couple days and my full load went up 3*c... my vote definitely worth the cash and if you wish to keep your ears it still works great with a low cfm fan...

my second vote goes for the alpha pal 8045 i was hittin 45*c full load on my old xp 1800+ stock voltage clock... another good solid heatsink while itl cost you a bit more than the ax7 the mounting method is a bit safer seing as it uses the 4 mounting holes around the socket

now my last vote (more like a warning) goes to the swiftech mcx462 it has those serated (sp?) pins that REALLY collect dust over time which totally kills its performance... out of the box i was runnin 45-6*c full load after a month i was runnin 48-50*c full load and during the summer i was breakin the 55*c barrier (well its a berrier for me hehe)... you also really need a high cfm(read LOUD) fan for it to work half way decent i was usin a 68cfm delta and it still performed like crap...

now on a side note its up to you what kind of fan you use before you go out and get a vantec tornado or delta 68/80cfm fan go get your vacuume cleaner and set it up in the corner of your room / office/ wherever your computer is gonna be now turn it on and leave it on for at least an hour thats how loud your computer is gonna be ALL the time if you get one of these fans... so trust me after almost a year with my delta 68 (the quiet one of the bunch 45dba) im gonna end up dropping $200 into a water cooling setup cause my ears just cant take it anymore....

I almost forgot
Welcome to the Forums

The AX-7 and Smart Fan II cools my chip (1771 @ 1.85) very well, but I manually adjust the speed. Prime95 my max temp was 45 (average 42) but running at 4000rpm. For normal load I drop it to 3000rpm.

It appears, from another thread, that the original Smart Fan wasn't manually adjustable - so if you go Tt, go Smart Fan 2.

I am using the AX-7 with an Antec Smart Fan on an Athlon 1.0 at 1.296, works just fine...and it is pretty quiet...
My temps while Folding are 46-47C...:D

Back