• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

50º high for non-overclocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krott5333

I have an 1800+ with an el cheapo HSF, generic, and I'm hitting 50º. I was hitting 59, so then I took the plug from the cpu fan out of the motherboard, and spliced it into the power supply. I test it again after some 3dMark, and its at 69!!!!!!!!!!!... So i opened it up, and I noticed I spliced into the 5v, so then i spliced into the 12v, and I'm down to 50.. is that high?

50 is high for non-overclocked systems, but I'd say the real culprits are your POS heatsink, and lack of case airflow. Put some fans in your case to move air, and invest in a new hsf. Alpha, Swiftech, and Thermalright make great high-end hsf's.

Ok 50 and 70 is high for brangin reasons. but consider this, if you are not out for braggin rights, you cna go up to 70 and still be technicly ok. they can live at 80, tho i would draw the line at 75 for my P4 2.53. if you want better coolnig get a better HSF but dont get a screamer unless you want to O/C, I swear half of the O/Cers will be deaf by the time they hit 60. (I was vorn deaf so I don't care much.)

Sure, you can run your chip at 70C. Don't trust it to be stable or live for very long, though.

50C is the rule of thumb limit. Even for non-overclocked CPUs, anything above it is too high.

I'm not sure just how high a temp a non-overclocked system can run at safely, or for long: none of mine last more than 24 hours.

Non-overclocked that is:D I do believe that they get more temperamental when overclocked:

I run high fsb whenever possible, and I have found that a system that may be 100% stable at 50c with a 133mhz bus speed will barely boot into windows when the bus speed is 166 and temp is still 50c. The rig just becomes more sensitive to temperatures.

The biggest determining factor to me is: is it STABLE? If the computer crashes under load, then it is NOT stable, and high temps are often the culprit.

A chip that runs Cooler will last longer than one that is hot: I expect my 40c overclocked XP1700 will outlast a not-oc'd chip at 60c; perhaps by a large amount.

Ight, ill probably get a new heatsink, maybe a Volcano 7 or something. I think my case flow is pretty good, my power supply is no longer in my case, theres a big hole in the back where it was, theres an exhaust in the back, and a fresh air fan in the front.

hmmm. you actualy removed the PSU? I usualy don't worry about that, becasue it is in and of itself an exaust. my PSU fans, (I switched hte original ones out for betterones) are on a reo so i can set them based on how hot the psu gets. but usualy even my 400w dosent make much heat.

Just make sure you put AS3 on there and do a good job, that dropped my temps a ton when I put it on my stock AMD heatsink. Now I am at low 40's idle and high 40's under hours of full load.

Man~ even a "shutter" volcan 7 would suit you better.... i mean its fine for typing and stuff- but gaming and 3dmark- its going to cause LAGGGG...... (your system locks up- not the net)

Back