• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclocker looking for advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDMS

I am getting an old Dell machine with a P2 233 in it and I want to play with it before I begin to build my owb PC.
I was looking for some advice on how to over clock the processor and anything else I could do with this machine

Spec:
P2 233
6GB HD
ATI graphich card (on board I belive)
SB 16bit sound card
That is about it I think.

Thanks in advance for all advice

dell machines suck mate, I wouldnt even bother!
If you really want to then a lot of hard work will be reqd, unless there are jumpers to enable 100FSB on your motherboard, or you can find out what clock generator it uses and get softfsb to manipulate!

You're probably not going to be able to do much with the proprietary Dell MB I'm sure exsists in your machine. Truthfully, I don't know much about -Dell- hardware but I am quite familiar with 'off the shelf' systems. You need to get at the fsb and I don't believe your current rig will allow for this.

There is a controversial method know as SoftFSB. It's a software program used to adjust your fsb from the desktop interface. I can not recommend this product though and as everything else you use at your own risk.

Just trying to help you with your options.:D

Good Luck!

dell have been known to sometimes use regular non proprietry boards in their systems, so you may get lucky.

if you do get lucky and it has an o/c friendly mobo, you might be even luckier and have an unlocked cpu. some of the earlier
PII's weren't locked.

let's find out what that mobo is before i go typing a 50K word essay on overclocking. :p

Thanks for the welcome,
When I get the machine I will try anf find out what mobo it used.
I hope I can play with it as I would like to fry the thing after I build a new PC for myself.

JDMS said:
Thanks for the welcome,
When I get the machine I will try anf find out what mobo it used.
I hope I can play with it as I would like to fry the thing after I build a new PC for myself.

Lets all pray now.:clap:

Oops, that was clapping...damn devil always getting in the way of things.:mad:

:D

-out.

Back