• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking TI4600...WTF!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kovert

Registered
I'm overclocking my MSI Geforce4 TI 4600. I get a stock score of ~12,200. I have maxed the core at 326. But I cannot get the ram any higher than 705. If I do it causes my computer to freeze. I'm have water cooling for the GPU and ramsinks...Seems like I should be able to go much higher with no problem. The rest of my system includes... P4 2.53Ghz, Asus P4T533, 256Mb PC1066, 2x 120GB WD w/8meg cache RAID 0...

Overclocked to 326/705 I only get a score of ~12,600. I'm using WinXP and 3D Mark2001 SE for the benchmarks...WTF..help? :mad:

You said that your core frequency maxed out at 326.
What is the default frequency?
Seems very low since my GF4 ti4200 default is 250 and I've gotten it already to 330.

You mention bus speeds but not voltages. Have you tried upping the voltage to/through the card? I have read at least one article/thread that explained how the g4s were limited more by voltage than by heat.

DWolf:cool:

maxima88 said:
You said that your core frequency maxed out at 326.
What is the default frequency?
Seems very low since my GF4 ti4200 default is 250 and I've gotten it already to 330.

The stock frequency is 300/660. I havn't messed with any of the voltages either...does anyone have info on a vmod? I just had my friend try running it at 320/740 and it ran fine...but the score was still ~12,500 which don't seem like its worth it... :eh?:

i agree 100%

CrystalMethod said:
Past a certain point you may see a drop in scores when you're at or close to the cards max. Try backing down the overclock by about 15mhz and see what you get.

yes, absolutely. i have tried several different things to get a maximum score on 3dmark, and stable seems to score higher than being clocked to unstable frequencies. i have the gf4 4400, and i hit a maximum of 13,900+ in 3dmark, but that was with the 40.71 drivers. i also got to 13,595 with the 40.41's . as i maxed out the memory and gpu frequencies, my scores dropped instead of rising. these scorers were o/c'ed scores, but not maxed.

i am amazed that you are only getting 12,200 with a gf4 4600 o/c'ed. seems weird. might be the drivers.

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4600197

Last edited:
For what your running thats a good score. For a 2.5 P-4 14,009 is the highest they show. Here have a look Also if your not happy with that score download the 40.71 drivers.

Re: i agree 100%

madsam said:

yes, absolutely. i have tried several different things to get a maximum score on 3dmark, and stable seems to score higher than being clocked to unstable frequencies. i have the gf4 4400, and i hit a maximum of 13,900+ in 3dmark, but that was with the 40.71 drivers. i also got to 13,595 with the 40.41's . as i maxed out the memory and gpu frequencies, my scores dropped instead of rising. these scorers were o/c'ed scores, but not maxed.

i am amazed that you are only getting 12,200 with a gf4 4600 o/c'ed. seems weird. might be the drivers.

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4600197

Thanks for the info...I'm not sure about going any slower since I already and using pretty low frequencies. I am going to download those drivers and try again there...if I still get the same score I'm going to overclock my computer and get a higher FSB bus before trying again. I want to get my score close you that or even higher! :beer:

Last edited:
Is it better to overclock the video card at the Low level Hardware or at the Drivers level? i currently have a gforce 4 4600 but havent overclocked my card yet, i'm actually trying to find out what would be the best option :D
Kovert my scores its really similar to yours the only difference its that you have your cpu 2.53 and i have my 2.40b but overclocked to 2.70 everything else looks the same

most folks are using coolbits to adjust gpu and memory frequencies, and also, riva tuner, which gives you coolbits along with many other tweaking options that may require you to do your homework to fully understand. either is a good option to o/c the video card, but i would start with good cooling, and if you are happy with the stock cooler, clean and lap the heatsink, and clean the gpu core, and reapply as3, instead of the cheap stock thermal grease. i also mounted a 60mm 20cfm delta to the ramsinks on the back of my gf4 ti4400 blowing on the card, to cool the back of the gpu core. cooling first, and then o/c...imho....

madsam:
I noticed that you ran the test using Madonion2k1 SE, i dont know if it makes a difference but at my cpu speed [email protected] i've been running the bechmarks under madonion2k1 Pro, so what i did was go to madonion.com and download SE build 330 but now when run it with the exact same settings that i run the PRO edition it kicks me out right after the 2nd game... would my settings have anything to do with it or perhaps the mirror site that i d/l the SE edition its messed up?
Any suggestions?

I dont understand why would SE will kick me out during the test? when i can succesfully run 2k1 PRO, damn man this is getting me upset LOL

Funny, I have the same problem with a low 3DMark2001 score.

My system:

P4 2.4 @ 2.966
512Mb TwinMOS PC2700 @ 162MHz cas 1.5, 2, 2, 5
Abit BD7 RAID, Mr. Natural´s BIOS
Cretaive GeForce4 ti4600 @ 349/815
2x IBM GXP60 RAID 0
Windows XP pro

My highest 3DMark score is only ~13.700. ???

Is it my ram that´s holding me back? Or is it something else?

t.b. your score isn't that bad at all, and it looks like your ram should do the trick...cas 1.5 ? that sounds like fast ram to me...hmmmm. i see your video card gpu and memory clock settings are pretty high too. nice o/c. maybe try to lower the settings just a bit as suggested above, and i have noticed more gain from gpu core speed, than memory. sometimes it is wise to take the memory down a bit to acheive a higher gpu core. i think the core gives more on an o/c than the memory ...at least on the gf4's. just my opinion though...

and welcome to the forums...!!!

Last edited:
madsam:
Would you happend to know why would SE wouldnt run when i can succesfully run all test on 2k1PRO? any ideas?

hmmmm, just a guess

MeJa said:
madsam:
Would you happend to know why would SE wouldnt run when i can succesfully run all test on 2k1PRO? any ideas?

do you have both installed at the same time? also, if the se won't run, uninstall it and reinstall it again. i noticed better 3dmark scores on the pro, so, why not just keep the pro?

Back