• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my last upgrade (until next time :) )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

john240sx

in about a month i'll be doing a pretty big upgrade on my computer for atleast a few months (i hope :) )
anyway, here's what i have in mind

Gainward GF4 TI4200 64MB w/ 3.5ns ram no DVI or TV-out $126
Shuttle AK-35GT2R (i'll be doing a raid setup soon after i get it) $95
Corsair XMS series PC3200 CAS2 512MB $187
SLK-800 (nuff said :cool: ) $45
Thermaltake Smartfan 2 (for the SLK-800) $18

it comes to $471 before shipping at newegg.com

is there anything that you would do different? if so, why?

PS. i'll be using the XP1600, SB Live! 5.1, hard drive, case and cd-burner that i have right now.

Last edited:
last upgrade....neer seems to end eh? well i'm close to my last also, jsut need a DVD-r faster CDRW and another hard drive and an NV30 + some more modding that i will be doing in the next few weeks. THAn I too will be done spending money like crazy

That sounds like a good list, I am looking into some upgrades as well,I may go for a Radeon 9700( A bit pricey) but sooo sweeet!!
How far have you gotten your 1600+ so far?

mamer

Judging by the heatsink you are getting you either want to run your stock speed really really cool or you want to oc. If you want to oc then I would say spend the extra 20 bucks for the pc3200 memory.

ok, i changed the ram to PC-3200. it was only like $20 more, thanks.

of course i'm going to overclock it :) i wouldn't want to waste an AGOIA-Y

so far i got it into windows at 1596Mhz (10.5X152fsb) and i posted at 1743 (10.5X166fsb) but locked up at the windows startup. the processor is still locked and i got 1596Mhz with 1.7Vcore (very encouraging :D ) i know this chip will hit 1.8Ghz on air.

i thought about getting a TI4600 but considering that i'm running a MX400 right now, and the TI4200 is cheap right now, the TI4200 looks very good to me. besides, i always have my dad to pawn my old hardware off on :p

dude UNLOCK that baby! and get a bigger PSU becasue 1600+s are voltage hogs! and also volt mod it or whatever you do to AthlomnXPs these days. sry i'm an intel guy right now tho I did own an XP 2000+ AGOIA about 3 weeks ago i repalced it.

unlocking it right now wouldn't do any good because i'm using a dragon orb 3 HSF on it.

belive me, when i get a SLK-800 i'm either hitting 1.8Ghz or the chip is going to die trying. (as i said, i know this chip can do it. i ran stabil at 1596Mhz with stock voltage)

i see your running XMS DDR400, what's your opinion on it?

hmm. it can be a bit of a voltage hog at over 160fsb. but i am sure you can git 175 with it on a 4:3 or 1:1 divider any day :)

Back