• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good deal for us Canadians, I have been meaning to get a new sound card...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

Is this a good deal for us Canadians, I have been meaning to get a new sound card...

Hi Guys,

Came across this deal at furtureshop. Seems to be pretty decent with savings of $60, unless I can find something for better with the equal software for the same price of $100 Canadian ($62 US)

Lemme know........

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...-web5&biasid=72EBB3C2D0E6417ABC210E3165DB1E8E

the bonus is the kit comes with the Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 Digital Speaker system, dunno how good it is though.......

cisco kid

Last edited:
Sounds like a good deal to me. IMHO Roxio is the best MP3 conversion tool out there tho. Not sure what software comes with that pack, but creative's products have allways been good for me.

I am interested to find out a bit more on the speakers that come with it. It is a web exclusive deal so I dunno how I can find that out though online, might need to make a call to store tommorrow

Seems like a pretty good deal for an upgrade as I am using a pci 128 card so this would be a big improvement.

Cisco Kid

The negative part is that its only a 4 channel sound card. The really bad part is that its a Creative.:p

[Edit]Woohoo! 5 stars! Btw... since its thier older 4 channel Live card, dont expect any updated drivers for it all. The only XP drivers Creative has released is for the 5.1 cards and up. I dont use XP, so I dont know if it has drivers built in for it.[/Edit]

Mpegger said:
The negative part is that its only a 4 channel sound card. The really bad part is that its a Creative.:p

[Edit]Woohoo! 5 stars! Btw... since its thier older 4 channel Live card, dont expect any updated drivers for it all. The only XP drivers Creative has released is for the 5.1 cards and up. I dont use XP, so I dont know if it has drivers built in for it.[/Edit]

I do not believe you are correct, the quote below is what I found at their site for the 16 bit Soundblaster Live

"HIGH-QUALITY SURROUND SOUND IN MOVIES, MUSIC AND GAMES
The Sound Blaster® Live!™ brings cinema quality sound to your movies, music, and games with digital 5.1 clarity. Driven by the powerful EMU10K1™ Digital Signal Processor, you will experience the highest quality sound reproduction with real-time audio and effects. The Sound Blaster Live! includes Creative PlayCenter™ with a full 320kbps encoder and 9X MP3 acceleration, making it fast and easy to create, customize and listen to quality MP3/WMA files. With the ability to connect to Dolby® Digital and multi-channel digital speaker systems or analog audio devices, you can experience true 5.1 surround sound with all PC audio entertainment. Creative Multi-Speaker Surround™ (CMSS) mode lets you experience 5.1 audio from a stereo signal, or enjoy movies in Dolby Digital 5.1 audio when connected to digital 6-channel speakers or analog Dolby Digital-ready home stereo receivers"

From what I understand is it is a fully capable 5.1 digital card, not sure what you are talking about

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sblive/specs.asp

there is also complete driver support for XP and all other os's.

Where were you getting your info from LOL!

Cisco Kid
:eek:

I think the card is pretty old. You get free digital speakers? It's more like buying the speakers for $100 bucks and getting an old sound card for free.

I had the X-Gamer and I liked it for sound. I got the Audigy and I love it for games, mp3's and everything I'd do. You can get an OEM Audigy for $92 bucks. It is better than that card.

Seem like Future Shop is trying to clearout old merchandise.

well you may be right but the audigy from what I have read has some issues with XP, I believe most of em are cleared up, what I would really like is Turtle Beach Santa Cruz but can not find it anywhere in Canada

the card I mentioned above definitely is older I am just wondering if anyone reading this has one and can offer feedback cause they actually own one

cisco kid

I have a Live! card...it was given to me. I like it, but, I wouldn't pay $99 for it.

Oh, and I run xp pro...no problems with it...again, I wouldn't pay $99 for one.

thanks for the feedback guys looks like I will pass on this card, anyone know where I can get a turtle beach santa cruz card in canada

cisco kid

Cisco Kid said:
I do not believe you are correct, the quote below is what I found at their site for the 16 bit Soundblaster Live

<snip>blah blah blah</snip>

From what I understand is it is a fully capable 5.1 digital card, not sure what you are talking about

there is also complete driver support for XP and all other os's.

Where were you getting your info from LOL!

Cisco Kid
:eek:
The picture clearly shows a SB Live! MP3+, which is not the 5.1 model. They can quote the 5.1 specs, heck, they can quote the Audigy specs, but it still wont change the fact that what they have pictured is the old 4 channel Live! card. And since it is the older 4 channel model, Creative has no updated drivers for it.

Other place to get info from:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1761.html

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they "accidently" gave the wrong specs.

Mpegger said:

The picture clearly shows a SB Live! MP3+, which is not the 5.1 model. They can quote the 5.1 specs, heck, they can quote the Audigy specs, but it still wont change the fact that what they have pictured is the old 4 channel Live! card. And since it is the older 4 channel model, Creative has no updated drivers for it.

Other place to get info from:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1761.html

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they "accidently" gave the wrong specs.

oops my mistake as I really know nothing about sound cards, thanks for the feedback

cisco kid

Back