• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doh!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newbie_Doo

Admin Parent
Almost fried my [email protected]... :eek:

When Windows gave me a BSOD, I hit reset. When it failed to reboot, I investigated... Epox Mobo showed FF and wouldn't POST. Routine check of everything yielded a blistered finger on the heatsink. I forgot to check all the wires after changing the PSU, and the CPU fan wire had gotten pulled out of the header.

Plugged the fan back in and booted...nothing. :(

Rebooted...Nothing :(

Let it sit with the CPU fan running for a few minutes, rebooted...froze on the Windows splash screen. :)

Rebooted...successfully!!! :)

Remember kids...ALWAYS CHECK THE BASICS!!!

I got lucky, Epox's thermal shutdown and a good HSF saved this chip-THIS TIME. Hopefully, there won't be a next time.

Cheers! :beer:

Anthony

That's nothing, I just fried my second AthlonXP. :eek:

F**k the Vapochill. They should call it the Vapocpueater or something like that. It is just way too easy to destroy your processor when installing/removing the system.

The first CPU that I cracked was an XP1800, and the second one an XP2000 (see sig). Just today I got a new Prometia case (it's sweeeeeet) and now I don't have a cpu to run in it. I'm just going to buy an XP1600 until I can get my hands on a 2600+ (which will probably be next year sometime).

Newbie_Doo said:
When Windows gave me a BSOD, I hit reset. When it failed to reboot, I investigated... Epox Mobo showed FF and wouldn't POST. Routine check of everything yielded a blistered finger on the heatsink. I forgot to check all the wires after changing the PSU, and the CPU fan wire had gotten pulled out of the header.

Been there, done that.

Forgot to plug in my 7v mod on my Delta 38 on my GW FOP38. It got damn hot before I realized what I had done, and remidied the problem.

thats nothing... I forgot to put the HSF on my 750tb last year... it posted then shutdown... i tried hitting the power on again and nothing. looked in the case and the dam HS was not even on the CPU :eek: i put the HSF on and boom it booted just fine and still works... good thing bios had autoshutdown at a certain temp;)

AZN

Back