• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.8 or dual MP2200s?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoPMatrix

Dont wana start a Pentium vs AMD war, Just dunno if i wana go with a single chip P4 2.8 system or dual 2 MP 2200's on an MSI K7D Master-L....
Price should be about the same for the chips and MB

Guna be doin mostly gaming and encoding on the system...

The P4 would prob spank the dualie in games but encoding would own on the dualie :p

Just cant make up my mind, maybe u guys could help :p

Thing is I really dont know much about Pentium boards at all, Built a few AMD systems tho, and wanted to try a dual for once :p

Well I will always say go dualie if you have the option...I say this for a number of reasons but here are the main ones...

1. Bragging rights:p
2. It will last a LOT longer than any single CPU system
3. They are very fast at any kind of multimedia tasks
4. They are good at games....but not AS good as a single CPU system
5.They will almost never slow down...I have yet to make my cpu usage be at 100%:D

There are more but I really think dualie is a good choice....but lets hear some more opinions...

Spec

I agree with Spec_Ops.

Go with the dual. As long as you get a decent video card, yolu won't notice any difference is games. (Can you tell the difference between 70 and 85 frames per second. I can't:))

dual xp2200 :eek: wow.... I wouldn't even say that the p4 would spank it in the games. that dualie has loads more power than the p4, especially when you overclock it.

You will enjoy burning a cd, while playing a game.

a dualie gives you the freedom to do whatever you want without worrying about slowdowns. (almost whatever you want lol)

oh ya its gettin a good vid card, GF4 ti 4600 =)

Well im used to playin Descent 3 at 200-300FPS so I do notice a big diff in FPS :p

And im guna be doin mostly encoding video and gaming, and all that other crap normal ppl do :p

I think i'll go with the dualie, lovin the AMDs anyway :D

encoding video with a dualie is liek noithing you have EVER seen....it is SOOOOOOOOO fast....I do mp3s a lot and there is no comparsion....my USB can't keep up with the ripping(sending files to my mp3 player)...talk about fast....

Spec

Was wonderin,,,, the MSI K7D Master-L has a lil weird HS right above the AGP slot,,, and was wondering if that would get in the way of the big fat fans ontop of the GF4s?

The thing with the dual is you can GAME as you ENCODE.You do not want to try that on the P-4 system..............

cmcquistion said:
No, MoPMatrix, those won't get in the way because the fan on the AGP card will be facing down, not up.

ah true im an idiot =)

I've got to agree. The P4 will have more reliable upgrade paths and higher bare-number MHz.

An AMD dually, however, will cost you less, and probably last longer. Believe me, once you use a dually, you won't want to go back to single-CPU computing.

At some point, you will ask, "Who cares if a single CPU can do something slightly faster? If it can't do more than one thing at a time, what is it worth?"

This is the beauty of a dually, silky smooth multitasking.

go with the duals. there is nothing like getting 100fps+ in q3a with all of the setting maxed (i have seen close to 200). the first time that you encode on a dual system you will realise how fast it is going and then you will have to change your pants. I have had my main system for about 6months now and it is still faster than any other computer i have come up aginst.

Back