• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8K3A/8K3A+/Newegg price difference ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jboy

Anybody know why the newegg refurb price difference is $69 for the 8K3A+, and $93 for the 8K3A ? Looks like the same board, but the one with RAID is cheaper ?? Is this a problem boards ?

Dont really know for sure but I noticed the same thing this morning. Go for the + model w/ raid. Seems to me its a typo because I bought a refurb 8k3a a couple months ago and it was 53.00. Go figure huh.

I just got my refurb 8k3A+ from Newegg, and it is running fine. I came in the original box with all cables, drivers etc. I think that sometimes they sell things as "refurb" when they just want to blow it out without the normal warranty.
Now if I could just afford the drives necessary to try out the RAID!

Word of advice on the raid drives RepoMan, go for 5400 rpm drives. They're cheaper, they run a lot cooler, and on RAID a couple of them will read/write 25-35mb's per sec, according to Sandra on one of the setups I have. The RAID makes a much bigger difference in this type of setup than does the drive speed.

BTW RepoMan, do you happen to know what revision # the 8K3A+ was ? I heard the 1.1 was problematic, but that the 1.2 was OK..Anybody know for sure if this is true, or did updated bios's take care of any problems ?

I read a post somewhere that the major difference in the revisions had to do with the onboard sound. 1.0 had two channel, 1.1 had 6 channel, and 1.2 has 6 channel with SPDIF out (using a bracket that isn't supplied with the motherboard).
I received a 1.2. I don't care about the onboard sound, I have an Philips Accoustic Edge soundcard. I also bought a 256 meg stick of Kingmax PC2700, and a XP1600+ that I immediately killed (stupid move, don't ask).
So I'm still using my 1.33 T-Bird until I get my next 1600. I wasn't having much luck raising my FSB above 133, even with the memory timings at "Normal". Then I updated to the 2815 BIOS, and all is well.
I'm now running at 171x8.5, with the memory timing set at "Fastest".

Last edited:
yeah, what happened ? I'm curious too. FYI, I just recently built 2 boxes using Epos refurbs, (An 8KHA+, and the cheaper equivalant-but without the in-bios multiplier changer), and both of the XP1600, (AGOIA steppings), ran at 170 FSB no sweat-was afraid to go higher w/o the 1/5 divisor, so that board of yours should really fly when you get another cpu.

Back