• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are games so expensive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

i just paid $47 for Unreal tourny 2 . i wanted the game real bad and i dont warez stuff so i needed to suck down the dough and get the game. normally i buy games around 4 months after they are released so they are around $35 or less.

i was surprised as hell when i bought this game. i havnt purchased a pc game since RTCW a year ago or something. The box is TINY! additionally, all that was inside of it was 3 CDs in a paper holder and the real short game manual.

i thought that game developers did this to REDUCE THE PRICE of the stuff they make not keep it to where it was before! i mean w/ the new boxes the games must cost $2 to make at the most and there is no jewel cases either!

i think i just got ripped off totally. yes it sure is a good game but i dont know why i paid so much for it shouldnt it be like $35 at the most w/ the new boxes? i mean i could have gotten a new CPU for the price i paid for the game!

Yeah it's no fun when they cost around $50. Like I paid for my Bf1942.

But that's going to change, since I'll get to borrow games for free from a gameshop soon. When I start my job in there. :)

You guys got it easy. Here in Canada, we pay on average about ~$80 and tax for our games. I think Warcraft III cost me about $87 after tax @ Wallmart.

i never pay more then $40 for a PC game, even the newest releases. i know alot of people that work at stores so i get discounts most of the time (when i was working at blockbuster none of my friends ever paid for a movie)

anyway, i don't think games (PC, X-Box, PS2 or GC) should cost more than $30. if the developers were getting most of the money then it would be better but most devs get about 15% of the retail price if they are lucky (most don't get 15%, 5-10% is normal)

They can charge that much becuase they can get that much!!!

Pure captalism. If nobody bought them they would go down in price. But gamers want the lastest game as fast as they can get so game companys will charge as much as they can.

Oni said:
You guys got it easy. Here in Canada, we pay on average about ~$80 and tax for our games. I think Warcraft III cost me about $87 after tax @ Wallmart.

I'm guessing its because of the shipping :p

Thats an outrages price, if ya want a game you should have a person in USA buy it for ya and have em ship it to you :)

Memex said:
I'm guessing its because of the shipping :p

Thats an outrages price, if ya want a game you should have a person in USA buy it for ya and have em ship it to you :)

Actually, after exchange and whatnot, it'd be pretty much the same price. United States Dollars are worth about twice what Canadian Dollars are worth :(

you think that's bad ? here $1 = 65Rs ..

we get pirated games here but there are many disadvantages

1. You can't play multiplayer on internet which sucks

2. No manual

3. No technical support / support of any sort

but come to think of it the only game i ever bought was Falcon 4.0 just coz i was crazy about it and flight sims and it cost me $115 to get it here in Pakistan in our currency thats like Rs 7475 ouch! :(

I paid 65 for the WC3 Collectors edition and plan on paying 75 for AoM later this month, but I love games and I will never pirate one so that is the thing to do.

Back