• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AMD integrated (or low cost combo vid card &) video MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrMac

Registered
I am trying to build a computer for my mother. She's not into the latest games etc., and she doesn't but she is interested in learning to surf the web. She has Comcast cable service TV, non digital, but they do offer web service in her area, and have a $19.95 intro deal, so that's a possibility. I thought about AOL (free 45 day trial and all) because she is intimidated by it all, and she probably won't stick with it, who knows? As of now, I have almost everything to assemble a reasonable machine for her, except an MB and very little to offer in vid cards. I have:
1.44mb 3.5in Floppy
512MB2100 DDR Memory
Duron 1.2GHz
Maxtor 7200rpm DX740 40GB ATA133 HDD
CD-RW 32x12x40x (although she is unlikely to burn much), and an ATX case with a 350W PS.

I noticed an MB Biostar M7VIQ which has: DDR support, USB 2.0,
ATA 133 support, LAN, and integrated S3 Savage4 video
(utilizing 32MG of onboard ram) for $62 shipped, but I've not been able to find much feedback from those who have used it. I really want this machine to be stable and problem free (don't we all?), but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this
type of setup
or if you had any better recommendations..........
Obviously, I'm trying to save money on the video and sound, which won't be stressed much, but I would appreciate your feedback and other suggestions.

Thanks

I'll recommend a nforce board, like Abit N7VM, you pay a bit extra, but you get better onboard graphics, sound (and Abit quality if you believe in them), yeah I know mom doesn't play games, but screw savage4 and AC'97. ATA133, USB2.0 is the stuff she doesn't need.

My 2cents say go NForce, it's what my mum has, and my nephew can play all of his games on her box.

For my new media center, I'm waiting for NForce 2.

Paul.

Thanks, I didn't know that NForce boards had come down so much in price. Sounds like a much better solution than the Biostar.

I saw a review of memory types that showed that the only (AMD) memory setup that beats hypertransport-DDR2100 (nforce has it) is the faster types of DDR (333/400) and even then video playback is better in the nforce.

I'd get the Asus for the massive chipset heatsink. I guess the GPU is there too (how integrated is integrated?)

You can also get her a cute flex ATX case, although its hard to find one with a decent ps.

Back