• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for an upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JD21

Registered
Well right now I'm running a XP 1600+ @1892mhz, MSI KT3 Ultra, and 512mb 2700 Samsung.
I have about $550 to spend on a CPU, MB, and Ram. I was thinking of running a 2.53 on a Abit IT7 Max with 512mb of PC3200 Corsair XMS CAS2. The CPU will be watercooled and seriously overclocked, I was wondering if there is other equipment of comparable price that performs better?
I am going pretty much soley for speed (3.2ghz+hopefully), so suggestions are more than welcome
:beer:
(Been lurking for a little while, first post)

I would, but I only have about $500-600 total to spend, and that sucker would blow my budget out of the water :eek:
Does anyone know about how much the 2.66 c1 will go down when the 3.06 comes out??

the 2.26b looks just as good, if not better then the 2.53b.

it seems to hit 3.0ghz easyer....

if you must hit 3.2ghz try a c1 steping cpu...like the 2.5 or 2.66

mica

Does the 2.5 c1 overclock better than the 2.53?
I would like a 2.66 c1 but its almost $400 by it lonesome.
TASOS- any ideas when those will be out so I can get my grubby hands on one?
Waiting is not one of my strong suits:D

The 2.5 has a 25X multiplier, so you can't push the FSB to take advantage of the memory, etc. You'll take a performance hit with the 2.5, but they will usually overclock well. When the 3 gig CPUs hit the market, everything will scale down in price, so the 2.66 will significantly be reduced in price. Like Tasos says, the entire Northwood line-up will eventually be C1 steppings. If you are after 3.2+ overclock, you better invest in a C1 stepping.

Back