• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fatal Server Error: No Screens Found

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

touser

Hi all, i just installed the latest version of debian on the system in my sig, and when i do a "startx" i get the message "Fatal Server Error: No Screens Found". I was wondering what i had to do to fix this? I think i have to edit something in the XF86Config-4 file but i do not know what. Thanks in advance! :)

ok, i went ahead and i am trying to install the nvidia drivers now, so far what i am getting is the IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH error, now to fix this according to the readme of the nvidia drivers i am supposed to compile the NVdriver kernel module with the same compiler version that was used to compile my kernel. Well gcc version 2.7.2.3 was used to compile my kernel, but i have gcc version 2.95.4 installed now. My question now is how do i compile th NVdriver module? Also how do i compile it with the correct version of gcc 2.7.2.3 when i have 2.95.4 installed? I am sorry for all the questions but i have no clue how to compile anything.. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Dude, get the latest kernel of Linux, this should be 2.4.19 Then install the nVidia drivers as modules to see if they will work. Then do make dep modules modules_install bzImage. Then do whatever you need to get LiLo to boot the new kernel image. Then get the latest XFree86 binaries which are 4.2.x Then install the binaries and everything should work. The no screens found problem is a video card thing.

I will make a writeup on how-to install nv drivers in debian. When it's finished I will post the link.

touser said:
Hi all, i just installed the latest version of debian on the system in my sig, and when i do a "startx" i get the message "Fatal Server Error: No Screens Found". I was wondering what i had to do to fix this? I think i have to edit something in the XF86Config-4 file but i do not know what. Thanks in advance! :)

Back