• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 mobos/2 temps, which to believe??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
OK, this is my dilemma....

Like the subject says, I have a Soyo Dragon Ultra and an ASUS P4B533. The Dragon has some ridiculous temp readings, so much that I've seen 19C CPU readings in a 28C room. Now it has gone as high as 46C, but most of the time it hangs around the low 30s (idle and load).

The ASUS readings seem more like it. case:29C, idle ~31C, load up to 38C.

Now these are using the same CPU, same HSF, same Vcore, side of the case off on both, just in different boards. Are the ASUS temps a reliable reading of what the temps most likely really are in the Soyo board?

The reason I ask is that the the P4B533s are highly recommended and while I have gotten better mem benchs at slightly lower FSBs (using the 3:4 trick), I am also limited to ~156FSB (416DDR) probably because of the mem settings (XMS PC3200CS2).

I got up to OCing the Soyo to 163FSB (4:5 DDR) but stopped and backed off a few because of the whacky temp readings. I feel it has more in it, but definitely don't want to melt anything. I would just like some feedback because if the temps in the Soyo are really like the temps in the ASUS, I figure it can run 166FSB, 4:5 multiplier and I'd then have DDR415 with a 3.15 clock instead of DDR 416 and 2.95 on the ASUS.

Anyone care to comment or does anyone have a BIOS hack for the ASUS that allows 4:5 DDR settings? The ASUS mobo would be absolutely awesome if it had it! I installed the 1011 final BIOS and it's the same as far as OCing goes unfortunately....

Thanks

Back