Intel Motherboards
Forum Jump

Need Recommendation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 10-06-02, 05:54 AM Thread Starter   #1
TWY

Unhappy Need Recommendation

My friend has a 1.80A + Abit BD7-RAID.

He's currently asking me whether is it worth it to upgrade to a 2.40B + Asus P4B533-E?

So what do I tell him? Stick with his current rig, buy a better HSF and overclock it? Or go ahead with the configuration he's looking at?

TIA.
TWY is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 10-06-02, 01:15 PM   #2
CaptBill

Go with the Asus P4b533-e and try the 2.66 c1. Most are getting well over 3.0 fairly easy.
CaptBill is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-06-02, 01:34 PM   #3
BaldHeadedDork

I'm going to disagree with the Captain. The original BD7RAID is less than a year old, and is a good board for overclocking. The 1.8A arguably has the most headroom of all the P4 chips, reaching 2.5-2.7GHz with aggressive air cooling.

Yeah, he would probably get a performance bump by upgrading to a "B" Woody. But we're talking about 500MHz tops for an outlay of about $500 in new gear, and the only place he'd see an improvement is on a benchmark score.

I don't know what other equipment he has in his setup, but I know I could find better uses for five bills on my rig.

BHD
BaldHeadedDork is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-06-02, 09:29 PM   #4
skou
Senior

10 Year Badge

I agree with BHD, it's not cost- effective to do that massive an upgrade. Have him get a good HSF and show him how to O/C, you'll probably get him addicted here. Which means he will end up getting a new rig.

steve

It was great while it lasted, but my other home is gone.

steve
skou is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-07-02, 12:50 AM Thread Starter   #5
TWY

Ok. Just told him about the replies here. He says he doesn't want to overclock it. So at this point, do I ask him to stick with his 1.80A or go ahead with either a 2.40B or 2.66?
TWY is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-07-02, 08:27 AM   #6
BaldHeadedDork

Depends on what he wants to do with his system.

Where is he running into performace problems? I don't know what else he has in his rig, but I can't think of a single desktop program that won't run well on a 1.8GHz proc. If you do digital video editing or play hardcore flight simulators, you'll save some time or pick up a few FPS by going to a 2.4-2.6GHz system. But that's it.

If he's asking if its worth upgrading, that tells me he's not having a specific problem but fears he might be missing out on something. I think that's a lousy reason to upgrade, but it his money.

Might I suggest, however, that $500 spent on a decent 21" monitor or a top of the line speaker setup will be an improvement he'll notice every time he uses his computer. Same for a good set of game controllers, or a wicked chair like a Herman Miller Aeron.

Just a thought...

BHD
BaldHeadedDork is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards