• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LittlePiggie

I have a Viper V770(not ultra) 16m AGP 2x right now, but the opportunity for me to pick up a cheap ATI Xpert 128 16m PCI presented itself last week. Whick would be faster?

How cheap are we talking about?

I doubt if you'd see any improvement with the ATI. The Xpert was a mediocre performer in 3D when new and it hasn't aged well. And if you want a cheap upgrade, hit Pricewatch for a TNT2 Ultra with 32MB and AGP for around $30.

BHD

Ah, okay.

If I had nothing else to do, and if I was so bored I was about to start reading the dictionary for kicks, I'd swap them out just to see which one of these fossils was faster.

But if there's grass growing or paint drying...I'm outta there.

BHD

It makes no sense though. the Xpert 128 came out like a year after the v770. Are ATIs just really bad 3d accelerators? Just curious.

No, not at all. At that time period though, Nvidia was better then the ATI product. The TNT2 was the card the finally trumped the voodoo cards completely. If I remeber correctly, the rage128 had image quality issues.

I currently run a 8500LE that rocks. ATI and nvidia both produce excellent 3D chips right now, but in the past, it wasn't always like that.

Back