• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU burnout?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RagingGecko

Registered
Um...about how long does it take to burn up a CPU if its got no cooling on it? Reason i ask is I had a 2100+ (please note "had" :( ) and just finished water cooling it. Seems I didn't have the waterblock on it securely enough though because the screw from the mobo waterblock was holding it slightly up off the CPU. It never was on for more than about 15-10 seconds while I was testing it out but now I can't get the computer to show anything on the monitor. Its not the vid card, I tested it in another machine. But if I take the CPU block off I can smell something like its burning! :eek: Did I burn it up?

It can happen in a fraction of a second... so it doesnt sound very promising but try clearing the CMOS and see what happens. My MoBo has thermal shutdown settings which you should porobaly use in the future if you have 'em (ie. computer shuts down if the temp goes above 55c) but I have never pulled off my heatsink or turned off the fan to test it out... dont need to tempt the fates.

Do your fans and hard drive still spin up when you turn the comp on? If yes then most likely the cpu is fried.

Yeah, the fans on my radiator still spin up and I can hear the CD-Rom and HDD spinning :( I never used the BIOS shutdown temps cause I've got a koolance system and I used that for autoshutdown. Guess it doesn't do much good though if the system isn't connected to the CPU.

Well, I know now that it IS burnt out. I tested it with another friend's CPU in and it worked. Only thing is I think I have to buy a new one. The warrenty might be void because to insure proper contact with the CPU block, I had to remove the 4 pads on the cpu (ironic, isn't it:rolleyes: ) . oh well, $134 will be going to support newegg :D

One little habit I have gotten into is mounting my heatsinks twice.

I put a dab of paste on the core and install HSF. Then I take it off and look at the squish pattern on the base. If good contact was made, you will see it. Clean it all off and repeat. Done.

:beer:

Back