• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AMD XP Mobo on the market?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theorie

Hey guys. I'm getting a new motherboard and cpu soon, and since my company pays for it, I want the best I can get! What is the best AMD XP motherboard. I am prob. gonna get the XP 2600+ CPU at the same time, so I need a good mobo for that. I don't need onboard video by the way.

Any suggestions? :D

Is this a good board:
http://www.internetishop.com/product_detail.asp?main_cat_no=HW&sub_cat_no=11&item=MB-HB-VIAKT400R

MB-HB-VIAKT400R-A.JPG

Looks nice, anyone seen a review before?

i can't even figure who made that board.. but now i'm curious so if anyone knows??? hb?

but back to the ?, i think that for kt400's most people are saying abit and epox, from what i've found, looks good to me, of course asus is nice, but way pricey, the soyo dragon kt400 seems to be a sweet board as well. however, myself, i will wait a month or two, maybe three. see what comes from the nforce2, the memory bus capabilities of that chipset could be a really serious improvement over what we are seeing now.

juliendogg said:
i can't even figure who made that board.. but now i'm curious so if anyone knows??? hb?

but back to the ?, i think that for kt400's most people are saying abit and epox, from what i've found, looks good to me, of course asus is nice, but way pricey, the soyo dragon kt400 seems to be a sweet board as well. however, myself, i will wait a month or two, maybe three. see what comes from the nforce2, the memory bus capabilities of that chipset could be a really serious improvement over what we are seeing now.

got any links to sites that sell them?

i only order from newegg if it's something i can get from newegg. they have great service and good policies on returns, i've ordered from them on numerous occasions and have had nothing to complain about. all the boards i mentioned will be avalable there, you may want to check a few reviews.. i like anandtech.com for reviews, some folks like toms hardware but i don't put much stock in their reviews anymore.

i see the rig you are running is pretty darn impressive itself, i'm sticking with what i got until nov-dec, probably see by then just how the production 2400 and 2600 are going to be doin and also (the big deal) the nforce2 as opossed to viakt400.

Alright, well I just ordered a new mobo and cpu on the company card. :D It comes tomorrow too! Here is what I got:

ABIT AT7-MAX2
13-127-138-01.JPG

Specifications:
Supported CPU:Athlon / Athlon XP Socket A 200/266MHz FSB Processors
and AMD-K7 Duron Socket A 200 MHz FSB Processors
Chipset:VIA KT400 / VT8235
FSB:200/266MHz FSB
RAM:4x DIMM DDR200/266/333/400 Max 2GB
IDE:HPT374 IDE RAID 33/66/100/133
Serial ATA: On board Marvel88i8030 Controller x 2 up to 150 MB/s
Slots:1x AGP(AGP 4X/8X (1.5V/0.8V) , 5 x PCI slots
Ports:2xPS2,4xUSB,2x1394,1xRJ45 and Audio ports:
Onboard Audio: 6-ChanneAC 97 CODEC on board
Onboard LAN: Realtek 8100B 10/100M PCI Fast Ethernet controller

I got an AMD XP 2200+ CPU as well. I'm so excited!

I'll agree with Fujikuro. Thats one helluva board! Its looks kinda $exy with the black color. The lack of legacy ports (serial/parallel) makes it even better! As you've all the ports at back, there's no need of those D/S brackets!

Fujikuro mate, put it in a windowed black case with a neon light if possible! :D

looks sweet, be sure and let us know how it performs. that's the board i'd get if i was going to go ahead and grab a kt400, i'm sure you've made a good selection

alright, it should be here tomorrow and i am going to test it on my work computer setup before i stick it in this when i get home -
Nurse-Girl.gif
<--- old pic by the way, but the window is still the same :D

I am doing the whole case satin-black this week :D and my cooling system is gonna be keeping my overclocked XP-2200 nice and chilly :D

CrashOveride said:
where did you get e BIG hook up sticker? i have bunches all over everytng butnever seena big one

eBay - $9.99 (i just searched for "Huge anime sticker" and it happened to come up. here is one on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1866829177

hook_ups_large_alison.jpg

nice looking sticker eh?

Oh btw, i got the mobo and amd xp 2200 today, i already unlocked the cpu, and i am installing the mobo in about an hour.... :)

nice box, i did mine satin black as well. i just have a little enlight mid. i did the window in mine myself, it's a little rough at the moment, just needs some touch up paint and some molding around the window. good luck with your new aquisition, i hope it serves you well

If possible, I would wait for the nForce2 boards to come out. Definatly some big advantages that make it worth while waiting.

comptech69 said:
If possible, I would wait for the nForce2 boards to come out. Definatly some big advantages that make it worth while waiting.

We all said that, but sometimes you just gotta have it now. :D

Where did you find this mobo? I checked NewEgg and couldn't find it. I searched under then name and chipset and nada. It seems like a good board since I don't want to shell out more for a 333 AMD proc. which is only the 2700 and 2800 right now. I wouldn't mind a 2200-2600 on the new .13micron process. But to further revise this list, a 2400 or 2600 should be great provided you get a new Thoroughbred B revision chip and not the original A.

But for anyone reading, AMD says all future chips will be on the Thoroughbred B process, which adds another layer and shrinks the die size by about 4mm^2. Hopefully they will shrink the process size to keep up with Intel for the new Hammer and Barton chips...

Yes, but where did you find it? Sorry to babble. :)

<ag>

uhh, how exactly do you plug in a parallel printer into the ABIT AT7-MAX2 ??? does the board come with a PCI parallel card (if such a thing exists?

or do you have to go all the way to the usb printer?

and no game port???

usb,and usb. i dotn think they give u a card but y? paralell is such a painnee ways, and you can get USB game devices too it is better ithink:D :eh?: :D

Legacy ports (parallel/game port) are being phased out anyway.. they're old technology and can't compare to the USB and 1394 ports.

Back