• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32bit RAMBUS ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petreza

Hi,

If I remember right, not long ago Rambus came out with 32bit memory. That meant that you no longer need to install RIMMs in pairs.

QUESTIONS:

1. What happened with that memory? Is it already in production? How about 1066 version?

2. Which chipsets support it (will support it)?

3. Are there matherboards out that support it (or planned to be released soon)?

4. Does 1 32bit stick provide performance advantage over 2 16bit?

5. ... how about in terms of overclocking - I want to buy 1066 and overclock to 1200 (with P4 2.66GHz).

6. Will it now come with only two slots instead of four?

7. How does it compare to 16bit 1066 in terms of price?

8. Any other comments or suggestions?

Thank you!

Is it me or isn't it true that the vast majority of overclocker.coms use DDR?

C'mon people 13 views and no responses!?!?!

Ok, only board that I'm aware of that supports the 32bit RIMMs is the Asus P4T533 (probably others by now though).

The 1066 equivalent is known as RIMM 4200.

It does offer a performance increase over 16 Bit RIMMs in the bandwidth department as far as I know.

Same price as 16 bit (virtually). Overclocks pretty well from what I hear.

Is 1066 refered to as RIMM 4200 only for its 32bit version or for both its 16bit and 32bit versions?

Corect me if I am wrong but wasn't this P4T533 the ASUS board that a lot of people said to have problems with?

Up to how many MB is this 32bit curently made to? (128,256,512???)

Thank you!

The performance of 4200 boards and 1066 boards are approximately equal. There is no significant extra bandwidth in 4200; the advantages are mobo space and convenience of not having to pair your memory sticks.

I've seen reviews of both board types, with benchmarks of each against the other. In some benchmarks the 4200 solution comes up a few percent faster, in other benchmarks the 1066 was a tad faster.

I think going with 1066 is a no-brainer because the motherboards are better, but we'll see what 2 cents will buy. :p

The 32Bit is only referred to as 4200 RIMMs (although both I think have max bandwidth of 4200MB/s).

I THINK there's 512MB sticks of the 32bit RIMMs.

Yes there were quite a few problems with the P4T533... which is why I decided to get the P4T533-C instead. Dunno if those have been smooted out yet.

jdmcnudgent has experience with the P4T533, so you might want to ask him for advice :)

Back