• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CompUSA burnout

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pcmod

I was at compUSA and saw the funniest thing happen. Ok they had their own custom built setup, all compUSA heatsink an stuff, with like 8 compUSA fans, I was loud even over the store noise. Ok they were doing a demo of UT2k3 and it started to jerk and then I smelt smoke. Then the screnn went black to fans stopped and all was quiet, the guy got up and left. CompUSA guys come over with a fire extinguisher. It turns out that the heatsink fan stopped, the CPu and mb was ruined, I just sat and laughed for 30 minutes while they tried to figure out was wrong, then I had to tell them. I point and laugh again and again.

Well thats my $0.02

OMG that is so funny, if i seen that i wouldn't be able to stop laughing, that would be just as good as the time when windows 98 crashed on bill gates.

-solidsnakexix

LMAO indeed!!! This really cracks me up! :D :D
Like Sniper said, I wish you had a camera with you. :(
I would go around showing pictures of this to everyone I know.

There is one thing I didn't quite understand though. You said:
"all compUSA heatsink an stuff". So, had they manufactured their own heatsink??!! :rolleyes: This is truly hilarious. If they did, I guess it didn't quite match up to a Swifttech or Alpha, hehehehehehe. :D

I can imagine a Compusa heatsink design: Solid iron base heatsink with 9 huge lead pins on it. The bottom of the heatsink is so bumpy that when you seat it on the CPU, only %25 of the heatsink is in contact with the CPU. On top of the heatsink, you have a Compusa 1cfm "high airflow" 80mm "Cyclone" fan. (You see it is very quiet but moves "a lot" of air. :D

Hmm sounds like the heatsink go to hot.....and melted the fan. Then the fan stopped working then uh it fried. I have seen this happen before but luckily they had ondie readings with the mobo shutdown temp to save it. Really cheap fans somtimes cant take the heat. Just another reason to use a velocity stack~funnel the fan from your side panel so air flows onto the heatsink. Ohwell, was it a p4 or athlon and what motherboard and heatsink were they using? Probably some antec chrome orb knock off on a 2200+ or somthing insane like that...

Im glad it happend .. those freaks tried to sell my buncha comp usa brand **** .. like hsf, case and psu .. hahah losers!

I built my own system for under $450 (specs below) if I would have bough it there it would cost me $900.

Thank god for the internet!

I went back there and they had a sony system running UT2k3, haha they gave up on their own stuff. It proves they have overpriced crap in a box. And their UT2k3 is 50 bucks and everywhere esle it it 40. AHHHH, why can't some other computer place just buy them out to something.

Mwhahahaha!!! thats heka funny!! CompUSA does try to sucker you in on their cheap stuff. They act like they know what they're doin but they don't know squat. Last time i was there.. they told this guy that for $50 they would upgrade his RAM for him and for an extra $25 they would install his CD-ROM!! i'm like.. WTF!! you can do that yourself. they're freagin ripping ppl off!! :mad:

Ah, you gotta love big rip off companies, whilst people with lesser knowledge about computers get ripped off by the unknowledgable sales staff the companies employ, every once in a while you get gems like these come along.
Not to mention the goofs dumb sales people make, like the guy who bought an entire box of 256mb Ram sticks for the price of one when he asked for 256mb of ram lol.

Yea the comp USA by my house has the same thing. a comp USA "ultima gaming machine". POS for $2200. i just started balling out with laughter when the guy told me how good it was. i had the pleasure of running 3dmark 2001 se on it, and with G4 4600 i got a sweet score of 10500. dosn't sound to good for an ultima gaming machine. i guess it's something that the CompUSA started in chicago and shipped them to like a few stores. and thier was such a high demand "i feel sorry for those who bought them" their going to start selling CompUSA computers in almost all their stores.

Last edited:
I just read that new avatar thingy and does anyone like my new one?

Just like compusa thing, but instead of just heating stuff up, it fries them faster than an egg on the sun.

ha guess what i did, i just got an application to compusa. i need money bad. and since i'm still in school i can only work week ends. i thought i could be one of those jerks that rip people off. but luckly i'd know what i was talking about when i sell people s(@t

Try to point them in the right direction, away from the compusa stuff and towards the stuff they acually resell, antec, and stuff like that.

Deadphishy said:
Yea the comp USA by my house has the same thing. a comp USA "ultima gaming machine". POS for $2200. i just started balling out with laughter when the guy told me how good it was. i had the pleasure of running 3dmark 2001 se on it, and with G4 4600 i got a sweet score of 10500. dosn't sound to good for an ultima gaming machine. i guess it's something that the CompUSA started in chicago and shipped them to like a few stores. and thier was such a high demand "i feel sorry for those who bought them" their going to start selling CompUSA computers in almost all their stores.

would this be the one on John R in madison hts?? the one by Red Robin?. . . if so, i worked at that one for a year about 4yrs ago, over in the corp pickup, only good thing about that place was getting things at cost and finding f*uck ups in the computer on things that were priced $.01 :D

Back