• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How important is Prime95 in a 100% Stable OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

As some of you have read I have a 2.66GHz Pentium 4 and it's isn't a good overclocker at all. Here's what it comes down to. Lets say I can run up to 3150MHz using 3Dmark2000 endless loops for 24 hrs in software mode no crashes. Now the second I start up prime 95 it fails. But nothing else seems unstable. I can run Prime 95 at 3GHz for a few hours, but after that it also crashes. Is a 24hour loop of 3Dmark2000 enough to determine if a system is stable or not?? And exaclty why would my system run 24hrs in 3Dmark2000 in software mode, yet crash right away in prime 95?? I'm a bit confused.. I'm using version 229. Also do you use prime 95 to test for a stable system?

If your crashing in prime95 I would say take a look at your memory not your CPU, and if you can run 3dmark for 24hours what else do you need the power for? I mean 3dgames!!!!!!!!!! :)

As long as the computer is stable for what you use it for it is good to go!

Slick..

WHere is you voltage at? temps?

And yes i base my system stablity on Prime 95 running for at least 8 hours (while i sleep) For some reason prime beats your CPU MUCH harder then other 100% CPU appz like sisoft, superpi, seti, foling etc...

Prime95 is the best app for CPU sability.
memtest86 is the best for memory, hands down

slick306 said:
If your crashing in prime95 I would say take a look at your memory not your CPU, and if you can run 3dmark for 24hours what else do you need the power for? I mean 3dgames!!!!!!!!!! :)

Slick..

I've tried the lowest memory settings just to check it out and I it still fails

gofastman said:
WHere is you voltage at? temps?

And yes i base my system stablity on Prime 95 running for at least 8 hours (while i sleep) For some reason prime beats your CPU MUCH harder then other 100% CPU appz like sisoft, superpi, seti, foling etc...

Prime95 is the best app for CPU sability.
memtest86 is the best for memory, hands down

My temps are below 50C full load always. At 3150MHz I'm at 46C
using 1.775v (which is actually 1.85v for a P4b533) quite a lot.
Voltage doesn't help me past 3GHz. I think I have a rotten chip.. bottom line.. if yours does 3400MHz.. prime 95 100% for 8 hours, I can't even get it to run for a sec anything above 3GHz. :confused:

slick306 said:

Slick..

for some reason I need more voltage for "mafia"........

yet I can run prime95 all day, 3dmark2k2 also.

all of my other games are fine.

maybe you should try a little burning in, it could help.

mica

prime is very exacting in its prosedures
very large numbers are being compared very quickly
if even one number is off it will "crash"

22.9 has a more powerfull testing engine from what i belive

being able to run prime95 means jack sh*t.
unless of course you plan on constantly running prime95 on your system.

your system is stable when you say it is stable.

plays all your games without crashing?
it's stable.

runs every app you want it to run?
it's stable.

if someone tells you your system is unstable because it can't run the torture test, so what?
that's like saying a porche isn't fast because you don't drive it with your foot to the floor. :rolleyes:
it still goes as fast as you want it to doesn't it?

for ppl who use there computers for video encoding or stuff like that, a unstable CPU can corrupt the encoding process.... in games this unstableness will look like a little glitch or a artifact on the screen jsut for a milisec but if u do other stuff that require encoding or processing then u will need a prime95 stable system.

this is true
but if it cant pass some tests its not 100% stable

most people are cool with that
it might mean the random unexpected reboot every so often
or a glitch in a song or game

most people can live with that

If u cant run Prime95 then there is no point in folding or doing seti cos even though it doesnt crash the data will have errors in it, making the processing pointless. This is the only reason I back off until my PC is Prime95 stable, because everything else runs up to 300mhz higher

Overclocking without 100% stability is useless.

There is a false notion of stability and how it manifests itself around here. The false logic goes like this: "Prime95 crashes, everything else runs fine! Ergo: the PC is stable in all but Prime95". This is a FALLACY.

Unstability is like a game of chance, with a given seed. The lower the seed, the less errors occur in data processing, the higher vice versa.

Now why does Prime95 crash while other programs do not then? Because Prime95 will:

1) not ignore a single error bit.

2) execute a massive calculating exercise, which will cause as many transistors to be taxed as possible.

The result of this is that Prime95 is a program that can single out (virtually) any trace of instability- *no matter how small the seed*.

The other programs that do not crash immediately seem stable because:

1) some errors are ignored or not directly manifest in human visual inspection.

2) the program does not try to use as many processing resources as possible, which means a lighter (or more specific) load.

So what does that mean to the user? It means that those programs are not suitable stability tests. It does NOT mean that they will never crash or cause problems. Remember the seed of instability- it will cause errors at random intervals, at random transistors which may or may not be currently involved in a crucial operation.
In the long term, the instability, however small, will cause semi-random glitches in those seemingly stable running programs too. Often these may not be bothersome, and some people are willing to accept a glitch once in a while. But then you can never be sure when it *will* finally cause a bigger problem- when it loses your precious saved game or crashes on your Killing Spree.

This trade-off is a personal choice, as long as one realizes that Prime95 and other programs running 'fine' means that they run good enough only to be sure there is no gross instability at hand... and not that they will never crash.

Isn't prime more like a RAM test and less CPU? I've read about it once. :)

jayel

jarthel said:
Isn't prime more like a RAM test and less CPU? I've read about it once. :)

jayel

No Prime95 stresses the CPU and system bus more than the memory, seeing how it does not necessarily load all RAM unless specified.

Thank you all for your responses.. I challenge someone to give me a program to run that will show me that my system is unstable at 3150MHz.. Prime 95 is the only thing that crashes. No other program I tested crashed. What is another (prime 95 like) program that "you" think you tax my CPU and show me it's unstable. If you can't find another program then I must consider my system 100%. One program isn't enough for me to think my PC is unstable. Not to mention one I never use. thanks..:rolleyes:

Overclocker456 said:
Thank you all for your responses.. I challenge someone to give me a program to run that will show me that my system is unstable at 3150MHz.. Prime 95 is the only thing that crashes. No other program I tested crashed. What is another (prime 95 like) program that "you" think you tax my CPU and show me it's unstable. If you can't find another program then I must consider my system 100%. One program isn't enough for me to think my PC is unstable. Not to mention one I never use. thanks..:rolleyes:

Reread FIZZ3's post a couple above yours. If it is good enough for you then fine. leave it at that. Just understand that Prime95 will report all errors whereas most other programs will not. If you are happy then leave it be, it is not the end of the world if you are not 100% Stable in Prime95. Good Luck!!!

If you bought a chip, and it was to fast for its own good, could not run certain applications… I’m sure you would return it!

Like someone stated above an unstable overclocked system is useless. Unlike so people I actual use my pc for tasks that I consider critical as well as continues game play. If you cant run prime you have a problem. Period. One day you will likely see your puter reboot, or freeze on you (hopefully not at a crucial time)

Good luck

This whole thread runs parallel to those for ECC RAM. I
personally don't consider a box stable until it can run
Prime95 for at least 12 hours. I also use ECC RAM for
most of my machines. Why? How else can you tell when
errors creep into your calculations? SETI, Folding, etc?

A machine can be throwing all sorts of errors and it wont
necessarily hang or reboot. The combination of knowing
a machine can run Prime95 and has ECC RAM goes a long
way toward trusting a machine for anything you throw at
it. Any errors encountered after than are sure to be OS
or application related and not the fault of the machine.

I have noticed that even sometimes at 1400mhz when I run prime I get rounding errors... but system is 100% stable... I have had a record uptime of a month and a half, but then the power went out one night.... As long as the computer is stable for what you use it for don't worry about it!

Slick.

Back