• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Omg I Did It !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

I speeded up Windows 98's boot time ! Here's how : get a hold on IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS from a Windows ME box, paste them over your normal IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS files in Windows 98, and you have both speed and stability ! :D but I think you also need WININIT.EXE from Windows ME for that thing to be successful (it asked me several times while installing a couple of things that it couldn't find Wininit.exe).

Disclamer : I take no responsability for any damaged caused by using the above techniques. :D

... stability by ME???? :(

By brother has hung this **mn thing simply by Alt-Tab´ing under Quake 1!

PS. What if you paste-n-copy files from XP into ME?:
ntloader.com ,etc.?

The NT filesystem is totlaly different fro FAT32, and I doubt you could use the NT loader on the FAT32 WinME drive, without something really bad happening.

It'd be safer to find alternative ways to try and speed up your boot, because messing with your bootloader is dangerous, and you may not be able to boot into your OS if you mess up the files.

Try using a defrag program that reorders the boot files to the front of your HD, and defragments your swap file. Remove any unnecessary startup programs.

Vovan said:
... stability by ME???? :(

By brother has hung this **mn thing simply by Alt-Tab´ing under Quake 1!

PS. What if you paste-n-copy files from XP into ME?:
ntloader.com ,etc.?

what I meant was Speed by ME and stability from 98 (which is more stable than ME will ever be IMHO)

minoukat said:
I speeded up Windows 98's boot time ! Here's how : get a hold on IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS from a Windows ME box, paste them over your normal IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS files in Windows 98, and you have both speed and stability ! :D but I think you also need WININIT.EXE from Windows ME for that thing to be successful (it asked me several times while installing a couple of things that it couldn't find Wininit.exe).

Disclamer : I take no responsability for any damaged caused by using the above techniques. :D

I'm amazed it booted at all. Usually the IO.SYS is very particular and once screwed with won't allow a boot until a OS reinstall. I learned that lesson the hard way. I've also just copied it on a disk and it still wouldn't boot because it has to be in the correct sector of the drive.

I've been toying with the idea of copying lots of the more useful files from ME, such as native USB2.0 support, and placing them into the 98se cab files so any subsequent reinstall will keep the hybrid OS intact.

Out of curiosity keep me posted if your system stays stabile after you've run a lot of games and apps.

Re: Re: Omg I Did It !!

Audioaficionado said:

I'm amazed it booted at all. Usually the IO.SYS is very particular and once screwed with won't allow a boot until a OS reinstall. I learned that lesson the hard way. I've also just copied it on a disk and it still wouldn't boot because it has to be in the correct sector of the drive.

I've been toying with the idea of copying lots of the more useful files from ME, such as native USB2.0 support, and placing them into the 98se cab files so any subsequent reinstall will keep the hybrid OS intact.

Out of curiosity keep me posted if your system stays stabile after you've run a lot of games and apps.

well, I can't boot anymore cuz I've redone my bootsector so that Win2k could load (and now the Win98 option doesn't work anymore, gives me a "Operating system not found" error when trying that option). But, it did give me some crap, like the OS not being able to find the network, even with everything well setup and all ...

Also, I don't think replacing the files in the CAB archives would work, as my guess is that Windows knows what file version it needs, what's the file size and all, but that's just me thinking, I could be wrong

Re: Re: Re: Omg I Did It !!

minoukat said:
Also, I don't think replacing the files in the CAB archives would work, as my guess is that Windows knows what file version it needs, what's the file size and all, but that's just me thinking, I could be wrong

Hmmm...

I'll still give it a try some day. Maybe I'll just have to write a batch file to pull then install all of the desired files from an ME disk after the 98se install. Some guy did a write up on this and I'll have to dig through my CD-R archives when I have the time and inclination.

Back