• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How in the heck do I get online ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElGriton

I installed Lycoris Desktop/LX the other day and I need help. I can play MP3's I can watch mpg videos but I can't get online (DSL) I can't even figure out where to start. I think it sees my ethernet card but I'm not sure. In windows there is a place to set up an internet connection and enter account info login/pass ect... I can't find this in Lycoris. Can anybody help ??

Ok I installed it and it seems to work ok but I cannot browse any websites. the help page on the site says I need to configure DNS but how do I do that with a dynamic IP ?

DNS is unrelated to what your ip address is.

Find the DNS server for your ip, then put a line in your /etc/resolv.conf like this:

nameserver 123.123.123.123

Or if they have some sort of wizard, put it there.

hmmmm.... is there a lycoris forum on their website? You might try there. Given that you're using Lycoris, my guess is you want the "real easy answer". I am sure the "real easy answer" exists, but you might not find it here ........ Here's the deal .....

If you know the "guts" of linux, and can edit config files and such, pretty much all linux work the same for most things. Linux is different than windows, but mostly linux is linux at the base level.

At the GUI / distribution level (Mandrake KDE VS GNOME VS LYCORIS) there are some differences. This is why many linux "gurus" can not tell you how to do something simple (simply?) in distribution XYZ.

For example, I can help configure a network from the command line form most versions of linux, and I can do it real easy from a simple "network configuration" window in Mandrake 8.2. Unfortuneatly, I do not know what cool easy network set up tool Lycoris uses.

I am SURE that connecting to the internet from a DSL via Lycoris is simpler than falling down when very very drunk. Problem is, you need another Lycoris user to tell you exactly where the easy internet setup tool is. :)

I do not think that many folks here use Lycoris, so you may not get the real easy Lycoris way answer here. Of course, many of us here are very familiar with linux, and so can help you through the more complicated way. You might even get 5 different answers to the same question, all of which probably work. In Linux, there usually is more than one way to get things done. :)

Good luck

Back