• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Porblem about my 9700 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

residentevil2

Disabled
ok for a while iv been asking how come when i buy any new peice of memory to upgrade to 512 mb. Be it the same xsact thats already in thier or any other name brand ect double sidded and single sidded. Evrytime i use the new peices my computer locks up hdd shuts down ect.

I found it by using a diff card it was my 9700 pro.

The only way i can fix this problem for a few days is by running my defrag 2 times a day.

Why do i have to use defrag even when win xp is fresh install it still does it . Cuss i did 2 defrag after each other and played UT2k3 for hours with the new 256 mb pc 2700 512 mb i was using it ran clean and smooth.

But i bet when i install a new game or something itll lock up if i dont defrag

edit: forgive my spelling its horrible on this thread hehe

1 stick is always better then 2. For some reason 2 sticks don't O/C as well. Check out the memory forum and you will probably find a techincal reason.

My sticks individually will run at DDR400, but not togather, infact the mushkin will do quite a bit better then 200 FSB. The samsung stick is pretty damned good for 2100 ctl considering it does 400 with high time settings. Anyway, like I said you won't do as well with two as you do with 1.

On top of that your aggresive timmings make O/Cing the sticks even harder.

sorry i forgot about this i even tried the new peices by ithem selves with o/cing and even underclocking so im stuck with 256 mb or i have to defrag everyday to keep my games from locking up lol

I lose memory bandwidth to use 2 256 mb sticks, but my O/C is better and I can use more aggressive timings. I'm not sure which way make the system faster overall, but I get better PCMark score now and worse Sandra memory bandwidth scores.

Do AMDs use the same 1:1 and 4:3 memory settings? If so you may want to back off to 1:1 and turn up the FSB and set your ram to high/ultra with 2-2-5-2 settings. I recall you saying your FSB was close to 200 those so AMDs must O/C differently then P4s. If you can do something similar to this tho it might be worth a shot.

Having that second stick just and not being able to use it stinks.

i think its fixed now for some reason i thinmk i know why.

It may sound farfeched but ever since i got this dx 9.0 beta version 3 i can now have no more lock up 512 mb works just fine.

And im using 170 fsb with these settings

2 3 3 5 1t

also turbo mod is on to tweak my agp in the bios with a agp apature of 256 mb

Back