• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VNC "Virtaul Network Computing" Looks like a cool program !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ive used that program on and off for a few years now, its an awsome program.
It even was able to get through the firewall at my old job..hehe

:D

One of the best little Farmer utilities around right there;)
I haven't gotten in working over the internet due to 3 layers of security it has to go through, and my laziness in testing it out, but I do use it internally and have been able to connect computers running Windows, Linux and MacOS with it.

rogerdugans said:
..... I do use it internally and have been able to connect computers running Windows, Linux and MacOS with it.

MacOS?!!!!!? Ugh!!!!! What's next? Plugging your Commodore 64 into your farm? :D

I use PCanywhere, but that dosn't have Linux support (I don't think). Anyone know how easy it is to setup one on Linux?

VNC is really pretty easy to install on linux, no clue about PCanywhere (that gave me trouble on windows! I really do NOT like Symantec products. [/end rantmode])

Give it a shot, and if you have any problems, I'll hit my linux rig up and reinstall, so I can remember how:D

what is this program? like a multi computer monitor program?

i might just check this out.

Its a great prog. Jstutman, its kinda like remote assistance in XP or timbuktu pro. Basically lets you "connect" to your computer from other locations, and you see your desktop in a window at the computer ur at, and can do everything just as if you were sitting at the comp your connecting to (bad explanation hehe)

not trying to seem paranoid here, but does anyone know if there are any security issues????

Security is pretty good on the app. It has been around for some time and pretty well hardened.

There are just a few things to be concerned about...

1. You must have a video card in the system. (Some may not use the video if they are building ultra cheep crunchers....)

2. It takes a crap load of CPU when active, co be sure to disconnect when you are done. If you don't, your cruching will suffer greatly.

dagwood

TyRex said:
does the viewer and server have to be installed on the same both systems?
You have to put the server on each system you wish to administer. It's a good idea to install it, set a password, and then add it to the startup menu so the system can be booted without a monitor, keyboard, mouse hooked up. Security is fare, but I've heard some alternate versions offer better encryption than the original. Personally I would be hesitant to use it over the internet. I only use it on my lan.

ok, i'm trying to assign server names, but the only thing that'll work is the IP address. Anyone got any ideas on how to assign names?

The name that you enter into the viewer is the netbios name of the machine you're trying to access. Just use whatever name you gave each computer during setup.

I've been using this program for quite some time (thank's TC). It is a very usefule tool to help monitoring the little ones and still giving them a lot of rope on the internet. They know that I can and do occasionally monitor "my" computers, they just never know when I might pop in.

TyRex said:
during my original LAN setup, or during the VNC setup?

I just use whatever name is listed under "Network Neighborhood"

Good Luck!

FRANK

TyRex said:
during my original LAN setup, or during the VNC setup?
During your lan setup on each particular machine - whatever the machine's windows network name is. Does that make sense? The application itself needs to be installed and running on each machine you want to access remotely. When you install the app it just needs a password. When you want to access the machine remotely you just put the machine's name into the vnc viewer box, and then enter the password. I'll try to get some screen shots if you need more help.

At first it only worked with the computers IP address, but it works now with the comp name. Thanx for all the help, appreciate it.......I've got 6 ports left on my switch now, which means i've got to find 6 more crunchers :)

Back