• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveSauce

Is there a rule of thumb to follow for setting voltages while overclocking? Say, up it so much per mhz overclocked?

And, about how long does it take for electromigration to start to cause operational problems in a chip? Basically, how long is the lifespan of an overclocked chip with the voltages raised?

I know when I used to run the intel Coppermines, the "rule of thumb" was overvolt by no more than 15%. Of course you could go higher, but it was by and large accepted that going beyone 15% might cause problems down the road...

I don't know if there is a "rule of thumb" with the AMD chips....I've never asked though. Most motherboards only allow you to raise the vcore to 1.85v (usually from 1.75). So unless you're voltmodding (in which case, you've likely got very good cooling running) I don't think it's an issue with the majority of people.

As far as lifespan, I've heard heavy overclocking can shorten lifespan by as much as 50%. However, chances are great that by that time, you'll have long since upgraded to a faster chip anyways.... so I don't think that's much of a concern, either.. ;)

My $.03 (tax incl.) :D

B.

Ok, so my 1600+ is now running at 1535, and my vcore is at 1.85.....seems that I can only set it at 1.75, 1.8, 1.825, and 1.85. Rather limiting, but oh well. Raised my temp about 4...but it seems stable for now. What should I use to test this? I have prime95, but how do I use that to test?

ok, i've seen some concerns raised about overvolting (higher than 1.9, or 2.0 volts) a .13micron throuroughbred chip.

i just boough a 1600+ chip that's green from newegg, how do i know if it is .13 micron or not, and is there any merit in the concerns of killing these chips by overvolting (i am specifically referencing AMD cpu's here, i've already heard overvolting can kill some P4's)

Back