• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP vs MP - Will XP !always! work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stellar

In the next few months I am intending on building a dual AMD machine with XP or MP 2200's. The difference in price between the two CPUS (MP and XP) is enough that I wouldn't mind creating a dual that AMD doesnt support. As far as I can tell, connecting the L5 bridge is easy enough.

My question is: When I first started reading about using XP's on duel MP boards, people were saying this only worked 'most of the time'. Most being something around 70 or 80%. From the most recent posts in the forum, it seems like everyone who has tried it has had nothing but success. Finally: If I try to use XP's instead of their more expensive brothers, am I sure it's going to work??

-Craig

I have unlocked and used seven Athlon XP's and have had no problems with them, whatsoever.

two XP 1800's (can't remeber the code) (these chips overclock to 1667 MHz)

three XP 1600's (AGOIA) (these chips overclock to 1733 MHz)

two XP 1600's (AROIA) (these chips overclock to 1800 MHz)

This is just my experience. The owner of 2CPU.com (a great resource) always advises against using Athlon XP's, but I haven't heard of anyone on these forums who hasn't been able to use XP's in SMP.

cmcquistion said:
I have unlocked and used seven Athlon XP's and have had no problems with them, whatsoever.

two XP 1800's (can't remeber the code) (these chips overclock to 1667 MHz)

three XP 1600's (AGOIA) (these chips overclock to 1733 MHz)

two XP 1600's (AROIA) (these chips overclock to 1800 MHz)

This is just my experience. The owner of 2CPU.com (a great resource) always advises against using Athlon XP's, but I haven't heard of anyone on these forums who hasn't been able to use XP's in SMP.

I realy dont know why he advises against it , I have had not problems what so ever with xp's. Maybe I'm just lucky ?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

I have used 14 XP processors in the dual Tyan S2460 main boards EVERY PROCESSOR WORKS FLAWLESSLY..

I have never seen any one who had XP chips that did not work in dual mode provided the L5 was connected by them or directly from AMD as the early XP chips where.....

Just add my "go ahead" as well - I've got two 1600+ XPs running SMP mode as "1800+" MP chips . . . not a hiccup so far.
I'd say go for it. Man, these XP cpus are cheap - and it only take $6 copper paint to mod them, or whatever a silver pen from RadioShack cost.

Jed

I'm running dual 1800+ XPs myself. Modded the L5 bridge and I've been running smooth for months. I would have had to resort to dual Athlon MP 1000's for the price I picked these two XPs up for.

Theoretically, not all of them should work. In practice, I haven't heard of anyone who couldn't get them to work.

I did have a couple issuse involving unlocking multipliers. My K7D was pickier than most boards as to how well the chips were unlocked. This caused endless frustration when one chip or the other re-locked itself. I suggest getting chips with the multiplier you expect to use as default.

Back