• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help.... need ur expertise.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asw7576

I have annoying problem with my Prolink PixelView GF4-Ti4200 64MB card. And I would like all you guys to make comments, maybe by sharing your past expriences can help me.

The card is overclocked at 320 gpu / 560 mem. No problem at all during 2 hours of benchmarking using 3Dmark2001SE & Vulpine GLmark even with FW and SBA on. The 3Dmark's score is 11,400. I used Nvidia WHQL 30.82 drivers + Windows ME + Intel Chipset Drivers v4.1009 + DirectX 8.1b.

Here the problem: After 10 or 30 minutes of playing game F1 2002, the game will crash and go back to Windows. This frequent crash problem, in your opinion, is it software or hardware related problems? GF4-Ti4200 is listed as "tested and approved" in F1 2002 game software.

How can it be? I can finished 2 hours of VGA benchmarks, but unstable in game after 10 or 30 minutes? I have GF4-MX420 and is damn stable card. This Ti4200 really give me headache? please help me guys......

It could be a driver problem, I've had that problem too, Installed H&D, made all changes (res. ,name, sound, detail....) and it would quit before I could play, Installed different V-card drivers...H&D worked, but I could play UT only for ~5 minutes and it would quit.

I would try NVidia's 40.xx driver, I was stuck with some old driver (Asus V-card, modded w/ switch to Quadro) because it wouldn't work properly with anything newer than 21.xx, the 40.xx got me another 300+ points in 3DM2k1:p (Didn't try H&D nor UT tho....I killed my HDD:eh?: ).

i second that it is a driver problem, some drivers on my comp make it crash very frequently but when i switch to some other drivers they sometimes stop. like the newest drivers that came out (40.72) they made my comp crash often for some reason and i switched back to 40.71

You could try backing the core off too. Thats a pretty good oc but it might be a little much for the game. Its a less time consuming fix than replacing the drivers and if thats not it you can then try replacing the drivers

Here could be a solution, I have had this problem in the past. When you run a bench mark test several hours on end, the computer "knows" what it is doing. It will actually get used to doing it (if you know how CPUS's fetch info this will make sense). For an example. If you have 2 sticks of 256 MB DDR Ram = 512. Take one out and compare your 3DMark2001 score. You might be surprised to see almost no differance. If anyone tries this, let me know. When you are playing a game it is much more unexpected then running a benchmark. You are changing direction almost randomly and it is much more taxing on the rest of the system, Hard Drive load time, CD-ROM load time, and memory intensive. That is what I think anyway.

Anyone? .... please contribute your past experiences coz your input means solution to me. Thanks for everyone contributions' above.

asw7576 said:
Anyone? .... please contribute your past experiences coz your input means solution to me. Thanks for everyone contributions' above.

Well, it's been a day, have you tried any of these suggestions?

I see you took your system off your sig but if I remember right you have a lot of voltage going across your fsb. Did you try taking the core down 5 or 10mhz? If that didn't work did you try to take your fsb down? I would have tried all of that way b4 I tried changing drivers. Why because you could play for a while b4 crashing and that sounds like something is overheating. Try it out and let us know what happens.

Ooh maann.... are you suggesting lower FSB? Currently I am running P4nw 1.8A @145FSB and 100% stable. I really don't understand.... Why I can finished 2 hours of VGA benchmarks, but unstable in game after 10 or 30 minutes?

Turn OFF FastWrite & SBA have no effects.

NO Overheating problem at all for VGA, CPU and mobo.

Banzai, do you play games and ever fall in this craps?

Yeah I game hardcore. I just bought NOLF 2 and have been playing GTA3 and Jedi Knight. Before that it was Neverwinter Nights and Dungeon Siege. At LANS I'll play Counterstrike or Mechwarrior 4.

Your fsb is 12 mhz above spec, games are notorious for hitting your system components hard thats why games are used for benchmarking. I would try moving it down some and playing the game. It can't hurt and is certainly less timeconsuming than a reinstall of drivers.

As for disabling fast writes or sideband they should't have any effect though I am a little fuzzy (ok a lot!) on how sideband works.:)

GeckoBanzai said:

Your fsb is 12 mhz above spec, games are notorious for hitting your system components hard thats why games are used for benchmarking. I would try moving it down some and playing the game.

ASW7576,

If we are going to help you must answer some questions. If you lower your FSB, does the game play fine? If it does then you have your answer and you need to live with one fact, two EXACT systems will not overclock in the same way. A good processor that overclocks VERY good is only the luck of the draw. Doing a benchmark and playing a game are not the same thing, system resources are used diferantly. Sorry.

Doing a benchmark and playing a game are not the same thing, system resources are used diferantly. Sorry.

Ok.... I will lower the FSB tonight from 145 to 140 and 133 final. Sigh.... I am thinking to buy another mobo at last resort. It really bad experience with Prolink PixelView GF4-Ti4200.

Put everything back stock...video card and FSB. Run your game. After an hour or so (if it doesn't crash) check your temps. If everything looks cozy, up the FSB and try it again (no o/c on the vid card). Repeat this until you find instability in the game, or until you reach your old oc limit of 145FSB. THEN try to oc your vid card, one step at a time...again, checking temps as you go.

OK... many thanks to skahful and banzai for lower fsb idea. Broken heartly, I am running at 140fsb now and the games could play longer like 30-40 minutes. Definetely more stable than running 145fsb. But the crash problem still exist. Its time to lower again to 133fsb and see what happens.
Hope it works!!

asw7576, My sig is what I run my system at everyday, its 100% stable across all games, applications and benchmarks. However I can benchmark my rig at 145 x 11 (almost 1.6gigs) but it isn't very stable and the heat build up is intolerable. I've benchmarked my video card at 300/605 but while I get a 3dmark score (I think I'm still top dog at overclockers for my cpu and config, but maybe not) I don't consider that a stable speed for day to day gaming or applications.

I wouldn't give up on your card or your mobo. You could need something as simple as an extra fan or three. I run six fans plus the power supply has one and I use a coolermaster HHC 001 cooler for my cpu. Get a good system monitoring software I use PC alert 3 to keep an eye on temps and help me to judge how effective my cooling schemes are. I am almost ready to jump on the watercooling bandwagon but I'm going to wait until the technology is more accessible. A big part of overclocking is keeping your components cool. Good luck.

I would agree. Since you found out your OC is the problem, and you want to keep the higher OC that you had, I would look at ways that you could improve your cooling. More/bigger/better fans, cable organization to reduce air restriction, etc.... I don't know what you have now, but hopefully there is room for improvement.

Banzai.... if you see my card (I have to borrow digital camera first from my brother, I promised to show everyone a picture) you see a madmax machine. It has Celeron 1.1A HSF for GPU and small HSF on all parts that produce heats. Definetely macho looking and cool. But not stable..... damn!

Running 133FSB now and you know what? I think..., I will throw up...... the game jitters and doesn't run smoothly. Definetely, I will get a new mobo with AGP voltage setting.

Back