• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI Slow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

colplink

Registered
Say... My first post here so sorry if this subject has been addressed before.

Im running windows xp. Why the heck is my seti packets running so slow? I mean days... Not nearly as fast as my old 2000 setup. But even then as I read your times, I have never been even close. I want to contribute, I really do. But is one packet a week ok?

Are you running the screen saver client? If so drop that and get the command line version. Believe it or not, the screen saver can take many hours longer even when it's fully optimized.

The First Question

The first question on everyone's mind is, are you running the "ScreenSaver" or the "Text Client"? There is a tremendous difference in time between the two. The CLC version as the Text Client is referred to is considerably faster. There is a very good "sticky" post at the top of the Seti Stuff section which give great details on how to setup and run the CLC version for optimum speed.

Here is the link to those instructions and there are plenty of people here who will help clarify any other problems you might encounter.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62194

SkyHook

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!! :)

1) What machine are you on? NO, one packet a week is NOT ok, unless you're on like a Pentium 100. Keep asking questions till your speed is up, we can get you crunching WAY more than 1 per week. :)

2) I do not know any reason why windows xp would be much slower than 2000, IF all the sotware and such remains the same. How much ram do you have? Could xp possible be causing so much swapping ..... but that doesn't feel right.

Or could XP be running something all the time, some service or something that you didn't on 2000 ..... SETI tries to run in the background, I'm just wondering if something is always telling SETI "sorry I'm busy, you just wait".

Either way, try the command line, and if still slow, come on back, and include your hardware specs, and we'll try to help from there.

3) There are also instructions here www.ocsetiteam.com that show how to join the team associated with these forums, we can use all the help we can get!

GOOD LUCK! and let us know how you make out.

Yes, yes indeed...

:eek:

Now Im crunching.

I "was" using the screen saver version, but not now!

This is much better and faster.

Spy performance says 3 hr per. Is that better?

Thanks for the speedy help!

Re: Yes, yes indeed...

colplink said:
:eek:

Now Im crunching.

I "was" using the screen saver version, but not now!

This is much better and faster.

Spy performance says 3 hr per. Is that better?

Thanks for the speedy help!

Be aware that "Spy" is basing time projections roughly on the way the Work Unit is going and the normal trend is for Wus to start out fast then slow down thend speed up slightly near the end, so "Spy" time are not cast in stone. Normally a "Spy" projection taken when the WU is about 60% finished is close to an accurate time. With all that being said, YES 3 hrs. is a believable time and is very GOOD!

Always Glad To Help
SkyHook

I see... Yes, it's slowing down now. I also see that my CPU temps are much higher now that I am crunching behind the scenes. Running at a constant 51 C. About 10 degrees higher than normal for me.

It may be time to watercool...

Cool, seti and OCing in the same post, NOW we're having fun. :)

Glad to see you're WU times are better. I would guess you should be around 4 hours or so with a 1.2.

TEMPS ..... my air temp is 29 C (84 F) in my room right now. I have an old non xp amd running at 150 mhz FSB, temp is 42 C, an unoverclocked <YET :) > xp1700+ at 133 FSB at 43C. Both use a mid level thermaltake V7 (not the 7+). BOTH machines are running SETI 24X7, so these temps are at full load.

51C sounds high for good air cooling I would guess you could get lower with air ..... but water cooling does sound like fun .....

Ahhh... I didn't mention, No AC. I have no AC and I live in Texas!

Welcome to the Forums, and the Team!

You have the wu speed licked now :), and temps are next.....

High ambients will definitely affect the cpu temp in a big way, and there are other factors as well:

using the thermal pad that comes on most heatsinks is far from enough to really cool an AMD, especially when overclocking- Arctic Silver 3 is the most commonly used thermal compound, but there are others.

A good heatsink is also very important to maintaining good temps

Case cooling is also critical, but I am guessing that may be set as you have a blowhole (in the sig)

There a numerous threads about air cooling in the forums, so you may be able to find ideas on just how to improve your rig- if possible- in there too ;)

PS: my KT7a has always read higher temps than any other board I have had: usually it is somewhere around 5 or 6c higher than my others, and that often has it around 50c in summertime.

Yep... Nothing like 5 Antecs sucking in hot Texas air through every crack in my case. I do use arctic silver. Cooling with an Akasa AK824. I think it's the only cooler not listed here at OC for some reason. It seems like a good cooler though.

But hey, we had a bad cold front today. Heck, it's in the 70's now.

welcome to the forum and the team!! :beer:

glad you are speeding up now. if you'll have any questions, be sure to give us a yell!!

and yeah, don't we HATE hot weather!! :mad: been waiting for sooooooo long for fall/winter. couple months ago, i had my rigs' temp up HIGH!! mobo temp up to 41-43C!! imagine what kinda cpu temp i have on my P4s and TBird aircooled!!! :eek:

Back