• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help w/r8500 and dual mons. in win2k...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albigger

i just got r8500le with dual monitor support.

winxp - it works fine, with default windows support for dual monitors, i have icons and start bar on one monitor and identical background image on other, and can move between the two.
i have the two monitor icons in the settings tab, and can adjust the resolution and refresh rates independently

but in win2k, it doesn't have the picture of 2 monitors when i right click, settings tab - i have to go to advanced under ATI tabs and set up both. and when they are setup extended desktop my start bar stretches across both screens, and i can't position them relative to each other like in winxp.

AND SOME MORE INFO:::

have both monitors hooked up to the video card (using the DVI to VGA adapter). i tried two different versions of drivers (including the latest, to no avail)

my problem seems that win2k will only display the two monitor icons (you know in settins tab) if i actually HAVE two video cards, like i had previously.

now i have the radeon8500 with dual outputs from one video card, and by default windows displays the same thing on both monitors (just like a copy of the primary one) which doesn't do me any good.

if i click the advanced tab which takes me to the adapter properties, there is a display tab in the ati properties, which allows me to set up dual monitors, but in a very different way (and more limited way) than windows did. when i set this up, it acts as the center of the screen is between the two monitors, which is really annoying. plus - it is limited to same refresh and resolution on both monitors, something you could change on the individual monitors in windows with dual vid cards.

so, was buying the dual monitor out pointless?? am i stuck here? or is there a way around this?

just did, doesn't help, it just creates virtual desktops to switch between. this is really annoying me now.........

got to find a fix.....

done.

got all updates, directx 8.1, sp3, etc...

EDIT: couldn't find anything in msft knowledge base either about one display with dual outputs

Back