• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

of course I know networking, i watch TV all the time....probs accessing a win 2k box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fightingpiper

of course I know networking, i watch TV all the time....probs accessing a win 2k box

Ok I have a recently formated win2k pro box on my network and I cant seem to access it from my other computers. The others are running 98SE. When I reformated I did not set a password on the win2k box but they keep asking for one. I have the drives shared for everyone to be able to everything but it just wont let me access it. I can access the other computers from the win2k box just not access the win2k box from the other computers. any suggestions would be apprecieated.

did you create the users on the windows 2000 box yet? create the users under computer managment located in administrative tools (control panel), set up a password, and change the win 98 machines to microsoft networking as the primary logon and see how it goes......

SD

Not sure if this was covered by Stogierogy's post, but when prompted for a username and password, do you hit escape/cancel, or enter? If you just close it, and the machine boots, you won't be able to access this machine's files across the network...However, if you hit enter, assuming you never entered a password, you should connect fine, and everythign should be a go.

How bout that?

At least, that's what happened to me the past two times I've reformatted, before I realized what was going on :/

Not sure if this was covered by Stogierogy's post, but when prompted for a username and password, do you hit escape/cancel, or enter?

i was thinking he meant the windows family logon and not the networking logon but he never said so who knows?

SD

Win98 machines are very insecure- which makes getting them networked easy, in a way.

Win2K (and XP) are more secure though: easiest way is to have all the computers in the same workgroup (what the name is does not matter, as long as it is the same) and then have an IDENTICAL user account on every pc.

Exactly the same username and password. Use those accounts to log in and you are set; as long as tcp/ip is right. If you use dhcp on all of them then it should be ok: try pinging one machine from another.

In reality, as long as the accounts you log in with on the other machines are IN the 2K pc, then you can log in to the 2K pc with any account you want: it will look to see if the "logged in user" from the network pc has an account on itself and let them in IF they do.

If that doesn't do it, post again- you can try the search button to look for more threads on this problem too: it has been a problem for many before;)

Back