• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VPC, VNC, PCanywhere

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
OK. I want to connect to my old roommate's LAN.

I have win2k server which has VPN. I have redhat8. I also have PCanywhere v10 and winVNC.

My LAN is behind a Dlink router. His LAN is behind a Linksys router. The reason we want to connect is so that I can do tech support on his boxes remotely... as if I was there using them. And also I'm hoping I can monitor the F@H he's doing on his 2 machines via EM3. He's using XP and 2k pro on his boxes, I'm using 2k pro for the most part, but also have 2k server and RH8. My rigs used to be on his LAN, and I know his admin passwords, etc. Basically I set his LAN up and when I moved, I took my boxen out of that LAN. I want to network directly with him again from 40 miles away.

What would be the easist way, PCanywhere? I've never used it. I only just got the box with 2k server so I'm not sure how to set up the VPN or what I need to do with his or my router to get it working. All our boxen have DHCP IP's assigned by our respective routers. I'm brand new to Linux and don't know jack. But if someone wants to guide me on how to use my RH server to connect remotely, I'll listen.

Someone give me a clue. I'm leaning towards PCanywhere 'cuz I can install it on one of his boxen and one of mine no problem... just never used it and not sure how to set it up is all. I can change router configs no problem if needed.

Last edited:
PCanywhere

Ok, I'm trying this one first. The host I need to connect to is behind a router (so am I for that matter). What do I enter for the PC network host/IP... the DHCP IP address assigned by his router? The default gateway? His PC's network ID?

Think I got it figured out. Added myself as a remote. Heading to my bro's place to install the host on his machine. /me crosses fingers.

Last edited:
I have not messed with vpns, and I haven't been able to get VNC working over the internet (I suspect I missed something between my router and software firewall) but I have set pcanywhere up to work through routers over the Internet:

the router on the Server side (remote server) will have to redirect the port you use to the pc that is running the PCAnywhere server software. To connect to it, create a connection to the external IP address, and the router will forward the packets to the correct pc.

Sounds more difficult than it is, really.

I have found that setting desktop etc to the minimal settings also helps improve speed over the Internet- even with a broadband connection.

getting it to work

Ok, forward the port to the host computer from the host computer's router. Got that no problem.

External IP address? Do you mean internal IP address? Like the DHCP-issued IP of the host computer? The only other IP's I can find are the default gateway and subnet mask.

Here is an example:

pc with PCAnywhere server running on my network, lan ip- 192.168.1.25

router with ISP issued dhcp IP addy of 25.68.12.238, and ports 5630 through 5650 being forwarded to 192.168.1.25.

When a remote computer using PCAnywhere [ port range 5630 through 5650 covers the defaults and allows multiple connections]

tries to connect to my IP address [25.68.12.238]

the router forwards all the packets to internal ip 192.168.1.25, which is the PCAnywhere Host pc.

Connection made.

I thought going through my setup would make it easier to understand than anything else, although the ip addresses have been changed ;)

pcanywhere

Got it. Will try it when I get back out to the remote comp tomorrow.

The license is good for 10 comps. I want to install remote and server onto 3 different comps on 3 different LANs. Hoping to monitor my folding without driving all across town and share files/do tech support with my friends.

Last edited:
Back