• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

man the xp chips are weak damit!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

havta share my experience
well i burned an xp1600 wit my friend we were taking it off to unlock and that worked great and we put it back on the insulation (closed cell foam from old mousepad) around the chip shifted and about 1/5th of the chip(2mm mab) got covered by the chip, the waterblock was on tight as well but the chip only lasted about 3 seconds.. it started up and beeping right away :( well lesson learned - take off the overclock when reseating and hold finger on the psu power switch when starting it up first time..

I didn't really understand what were you trying to do, with the insulation and stuff, what for? running regular watercooling doesn't requiere insulation. Also having a motherboard w/ the protection that was implemented into most of the KT333 and some KT266A mobo's would be wise, because in most cases it does shut down before the chip fries...

well yea i didnt tell ya its a 226w pelt setup :) and epox 8k3a and the thermal shutdown and beeping was enabled i guess it just didnt shut down fast enough.. it started beeping immediately which i wonder why the waterblock couldnt make almost ANY contact with the chip in that case or what?

The one I burned up:
XP1600@17something (a while back now)
2.1v vcore

Less than 1 second and the smell was there.

Power was off in two seconds, but................:(

They are pretty fragile, really, but considering the way I abuse them..........well, knock on wood, but they seem to take it ok, as long as I don't take any shortcuts!

Ever since that one, before I pull a chip I set voltage as low as possible, or default and boot at default speed.

THEN I pull.

Same thing starting back up.

Back