• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Beeping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtreme404

Hey guys, I turned on my computer and all it does is beep at me now. I can't get to anything. You think this is the motherboard or maybe video card???

Thanks

depends on the number of beeps, and how long they are. Can you describe them?

Check that your video card is seated correctly, and check that your RAM is seated correctly.

Some motheboard manufacturers use a sequence of beeps on startup to tell you if something is wrong and what is wrong. Start it up and listen to the sequence of the beeps I.E. 2 short beeps and 1 long beep or 4 short beeps then ether write that down or remember it and look it up in your manual that goes with your motherboard and it should tell you exactly and about whats wrong and causing the failure. Then all you have to do is find a way to fix it. Keep us posted

If your mobo manual doesn't have a section on that do a google search for motherboard beep codes and you should get a list of beep codes for different manufacturers.

yeah, just get your bios manu. and see what beep codes correspond with theres...

just out of interest how many beeps are there ? :)

ninthebin said:
yeah, just get your bios manu. and see what beep codes correspond with theres...

just out of interest how many beeps are there ? :)

Back in the old days, there were standard ones, long beeps=fatal error, short ones=non-fatal, 0=processor, 1=all ok, 2=ram, 3=video.

No more beeps are required, as you have processor+ram+video, which is enough to show stuff on the monitor, ie: error messages

I have also noticed that motherboards make weird-interesting beeps when they're fried :D

Nowadays, manufacturers roll a dice and choose their ram beeps.

just make sure your vid card is seated properly reseat your ram and if that doesnt work you can allways beep back at it :)

Back