• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mandrake 9.0 and nForce

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rav

How?

The RPM's from Nvidia don't work, the source won't compile (I get pages and pages of errors). The instructions I've found for how to do it don't work like they are supposed to.

I'm pretty angry right now. Gentoo was a distaster, and now I've got a Mandrake install with no network or sound. I built a brand new system to play with Linux too. Please help me get this working!

Is anyone running an nForce under any distro?

-Rav

Its the Asus A7N266-VM. Its the nForce 220 chipset. Its onboard GF2 (that is working). The onboard sound is working with the i810 driver, but not the dolby part. The NVNET network isn't working. The Nvidia drivers for IDE, AGP, etc aren't loaded either. The network is the big one that I need working.

-Rav

This is rather discouraging... I'm going to be building a book PC size Linux box using this mobo in the near future.

I'm surprised that you're having issues with nVidia's drivers, supposedly they're pretty good and it's not like Mandrake is a small distro...

sb

Well the display driver is working great. Its just the chipset drivers that are a problem. They have an RPM for Madrake 8.2, which doesn't seem to work with 9.0. The source files don't compile right if you do it that way either. I know there has to be someone out there who has it working. I'll switch to another distro if I have to but I like Mandrake a lot.

-Rav

Its just an issue of sorting out the rpms, which can be a nontrivial task, especially for a newbie. Maybe you should try googling @ google.com/linux and see if anyone repackaged the rpms for Mandrake 9.

Google didn't turn up anything useful. Any other ideas? Anyone? I might just do a re-install.

-Rav

Sounds to me like you need kernel sources installed.

su
password
urpmi kernel-source

Then you'll need the src.rpm for the nforce drivers.

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/nforce/1.0-0241/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0241.src.rpm

SOURCE RPM INSTALLATION (from Nvidia's website)

The Source RPM will create an RPM appropriate for your system.
If you are using the SuSE RPM, see NOTE: SuSE INSTALLATIONS, above.
To install:

example% cd <directory with the rpm file>
example% su
Password: ******
example# rpm --rebuild nforce{package name}-1.0-1.src.rpm

At this point, the SRPM will be recompiled. When this command has
completed, look for a line that says:

Wrote: /usr/src/{RPM root dir}/RPMS/i386/nforce{package name}-1.0-1.rpm

This will provide you with the name and location of the new RPM. You
should then install this RPM per the instructions in the Binary RPM
Installation section.

good luck

All I get is:

/usr/lib/rpm/rpmb: No such file or directory

Guess my RPM is messed up. Its pretty frustrating, every time you try to get one thing to work, you find out something else doesn't work.

-Rav

Back