• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a new guy out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krelian

Registered
Please help a new guy out

Hey all, I've been reading up on water cooling (and some phase change cooling) the past few days, and while I'm pretty set on how to set up a water cooling system, I don't have everything figured out about the phase change system.

I'm wanting to incorporate both water cooling and phase change, and as such I'm wanting to custom build some parts. For example, I want to use the evaporator for my phase change system as the "radiator" for my water cooling system. So I'm wanting to build my phase change system myself. But I don't know exactly where to get the parts.

For the compressor, I figure I can either gut an old window AC unit we have, go buy a new mini fridge from Wal-Mart, or scour some used appliance shops. The condenser is just basically a radiator, right? Could I use an old car radiator/heatercore? As far as a capillary tube/expansion valve...I don't even know how to incorporate those into my system. I can braze the evaporator together myself, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, do I need a drier/filter? And what/why do I need to insulate?

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me to get me going in the right direction. 'Cause right now, I feel rather clueless....:eh?:

Last edited:
check the front page september 23 that should help you with alot of this

Thanks ssjwizard. That tutorial is just what I needed. Actually, when I read through it, although the parts list is quite extensive, it seems VERY simple.

Great job!

the parts arent that expensive if you search around. the most expensive part was the guages for me. a normal blow torch can be used for soldering the pipes which are pretty cheep. they key is finding a condensor and compressor if you can find those or get a good deal on a used one or something its prety cheep even a compressor out of a mini fridge works pretty good if you do it right.

If I gutted a mini fridge, how would I take the compressor out without refrigerant spraying everywhere?

There's a used appliance store here in town that I might be able to get a compressor from, but otherwise it's mini fridge time. Unless I take the compressor from my now bunk (and unnecessary, it's the middle of October in Indiana) window air conditioner. Although, it isn't the quietest thing in the world....

Actually, that tutorial you pointed me to is fantastic! I'm considering building my own condenser, it shouldn't be too hard to do. I can bend the copper pretty easily, and as long as I get ahold of some thin copper sheets, I can use the drill press at work to skewer them. :cool:

Again, thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it!

no problem at all good luck with your project!

Back