• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cas1 Memory!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaedalusX

I've been talking to various people, and some contacts I have from HardOCP and there is speculation on the release of CAS1 RAM. It's said that PC133 at CAS1 would perform like PC180.

I just want to know if anyone else has heard any more information on this. I'm telling you, if I could find a 256 module of KT400 ram at CAS1 I would pay unbelievable amounts, that's some mad crazy mem right there.

I don't think I've ever heard of official CAS 1 RAM. But it WOULD be pretty darn fast! I'll have to do a search on Google cuz this sounds intereting.... :)

JigPu

DaedalusX said:
if I could find a 256 module of KT400 ram at CAS1

huh?

do you meen a 256mb stick of PC3200 that can run CAS1?

Also is this CAS1 RAM to be for the SDRAM platform? if so it seems pointless, SDR CAS1 at 200fsb wouldn't even compare to PC3200 we have now.

Seems to me that DDR is almost dead in the water anyway, we have to wait for DDR2 or dual channel memory (nforce2 and i thought intel had a chipset....granite bay? don't remember really) beofre we see any noticeable gains in RAM

from the reviews I have seen of the NForce2 (besides the one with the 2800+) the memory scores are not very impressive. they rarely beat the EPoX DDR333 boards.
and actually CAS1 DDR would be a helluva lot faster considering it would only take one cycle instead of 2 or 2.5

I think I've seen CAS1 in somebody's sig (or somewhere) before.... They had it at an insanely low speed (is to be expected with CAS1), but I'm almost positive it was CAS1.

JigPu

Can't get a higher score in sandra than the cpu can use.
The cpu becomes the bottleneck.

I would be happy with 4500mb/s its better than the 2850mb/s I get now running 400ddr.

Yep, sucks, doughnut? Can't wait to see what DCDDR will do for the AMD crowd....................but really, that link I posted seems a little depressing...........

Have to wait for the finished products and get some overclocking reviews.
If the nf2 proves to be a stable chipset at 200fsb then I would guess you should be able to get at least 4,000+ sandra scores with a 2400+ or higher cpu.

We shouldn't have to wait that much longer to find out for sure :)

I am going to buy a Vapochill when I find another job ( IT career field slimmed down QUICK!!! )...and get me an NForce2 board, don't know I will get anything over PC3000 Corsair though, as even at that speed (if the doubling is true), a 400FSB XP processor won't be able to push the ram

is CAS 1 even possible?
I'd like to hear from somebody who's intimate with the process of memory access. I've done a little construction of computers from raw components (68000 series CPU!... feel my mighty 4mHz!) and was used to seeing on the O-scope a slight delay for operations due to physical electron flow delay, or some such thing. So, I wonder if there isn't some sort of absolute limitation?

I think that the programs run with that test that had CAS1.5 mem was a bit folly, due to the fact that for CAS1 RAM to even be possible there would have to be a chipset made to support it. Also it wouldn't even be really good to get super fast RAM when CPUs are still running at 266mhz.

If you've ever seen an AMD run at 266 mhz fsb (say 1.6ghz for example) with ddr 333 and then you compare it to the same proc with a lowered multi and raised fsb to 333 to meet the same as the mem, the performance increase while still having the same output clock speed of 1.6ghz is amazing.

They actually ran a test like that with an unlocked xp 2000+ showing that at the exact same clock speeds, that when the proc ran at 333 while the ram was at 333 the performance was much better. Also the use of CAS2 is something you have to switch to in motherboards, it's not completely native yet. So you must have a chipset on a motherboard that's meant to use CAS1 on the clock cycle, and a BIOS that can recognize such a thing.

Also, the Athlon XP 2700+ will be the first AMD processor to run at 333mhz instead of 266. I personally am going to unlock my 2400+ as soon as it ships to me, and run it that already.

Siemens(Infineon) is working on a new memory module(DDR) with cas 1,5 - 2 - 2 - 2 - T1 at DDR450.....I'll be informed again and I'll inform you about this.....

Back