• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mounting a golden orb on a celeron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PigeonStriker

Registered
Hi everyone, really new to overclocking and on an extremely tight budget (that's why i'm overclocking ;)).

Picked up a golden orb for my celeron 366, hopefully want to make it to 550. Only problem is mounting the darn thing on the cpu. Using an asus s370 slocket on an asus p3bf. I can only twist the orb about half-way then it starts getting really tight. I did manage to twist it all the way, but it was on so tight i thought it might be damaging my cpu. Also, the bottom of the orb isn't completely covering the raised metal part of the cpu... the corners are exposed.

If anyone has had similar experiences or any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums PigeonStriker. Hold it right there. If your machine is running with the Orb installed as described, SHUT IT OFF and reinstall the heatsink that came with the chip. I Hope you got another one? Use thermal paste if you have it. I know nada about installing the ORB. Log back on and wait for someone who can give you instruction. Check the cooling section on the home page.

First i'm sorry that you bought the orb they are one of the worst HSF's out there I would rather lapp a stock one before using the orb but a few people have had some amount of luck with them but they have had to lapp them well and use a good thermal compound. with the trouble your having with the orb i would try and take it back you would only have to spend a few dollars more to get a much better HSF without a decent HSF your going to have a hard time pushing your proccesor to where you want to take it. If you do keep the orb 1 make sure its sitting perfectly flat on your CPU and not to tight your rite you do not want to crush it but it does have to touch the CPU 2 lapp it well as the bottom of the orb is not one of the flatest HSF's out there 3 do not use the thermal sticky tape it is garbage if you can use arctic silver 2 but if your in a pinch the radioshack thermal compound will work just fine. goodluck.

Orbs also come in a flavor you dont have to twist, that is what i have,
will be fine for a celeron 1 so dont worry to much about that
At the time your compuer was one of the best, so was the orb
now the ORB is old and people say it sucks, EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE NEVER USED ONE.
As long as you dont pump out more than 60 WATTS of heat an orb is just fine

The celly 366 can be a sweet little oc'er..I had one and it was running @550 stable.
When I put my celly together, I used an Alpha (can't remember which one.) lapped 'em both and it ran like a charm.
The core corners should not be sticking out.
I'm sure the gorb is fine..except for the corners sticking out...and when you think about it, why did they make the base of the Orbs round? CPU's are square....

OK, I tried to take it off and put it back on again, but i can't get the bottom to line up completely over the square. I lowered those two clips so it would be easier to twist, but it's still really tight. I also put on some of that white thermal paste... When I turned the computer on, the temperature is around 28C when I don't do much. Then when I run prime 95 for a while it goes up to 35-40. Is this ok? Is the orb working? What's a "safe" temperature? At school we have a lab of 30 computers with celeron 300 at 450 with just the normal fan that it comes with. The temperature on those is around 57C and they seem fine for about 2 years now. What's "lapping"?

Thanks for all the help!

OK, I tried to take it off and put it back on again, but i can't get the bottom to line up completely over the square. I lowered those two clips so it would be easier to twist, but it's still really tight. I also put on some of that white thermal paste... When I turned the computer on, the temperature is around 28C when I don't do much. Then when I run prime 95 for a while it goes up to 35-40. Is this ok? Is the orb working? What's a "safe" temperature? At school we have a lab of 30 computers with celeron 300 at 450 with just the normal fan that it comes with. The temperature on those is around 57C and they seem fine for about 2 years now. What's "lapping"?

Thanks for all the help!

Those temps aren't completely terrible. If the orb isn't lining up over the cpu properly, I'd invest in a different heatsink.

Lapping is sanding the heatsink (and sometimes the cpu) so that they connect to each other better.
I lapped mine because there was a tiny, but visible gap between the cpu core and the base of my heatsink.
here's a couple of links:

The Art of Lapping
How-To Lap a Heat Sink, CPU, or Peltier
Lapping the Gorb

He's got a Celeron 1 which is protected by a heat spread, so the risk to destroy the core is less important.
I had a Celeron 400 on which I put a Gorb (to answer to Compuwife, they're designed for naked and tiny coppermine generation I think, so no need to make a big square for the base), I had to bend the "patented" lock hardly before getting it on the slotket and two tiny bits of corners were not covered but I think the core didn't occupy the same surface as the spreader. It worked fine and allowed me to do some oclock (I can't remember). As some say, it's probably not the best buy you did but for that range of cpu, it will do enough and they're not very pricey.

Back