• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit TH7II and a P4 2.4b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pokemeintheye

Registered
I got an abit thII7 and a P4 2.4b processor and i want to run it at at 533 FSB, but if I set the board over 129 it won't even load windows befor it reboots. shouldn't I be able to run that processor at that speed, I mean that's what it's made for. Anyone else had this problem?

Your RAMBUS RAM needs to be set to 300MHz mode! Set 133MHz FSB in BIOS and then set the RAMBUS multiplier to 300MHz instead of 400MHz or Auto...

Then your RAM runs @ PC800 Speed as it should. There are only very few PC800 Chips which can run @ PC1066 speed.

Hope this helps...

Merkor

It could also be that your PSU is not able to keep up.

What kind of memory are you using? If it is PC800 Merkor's solution may be correct. If it is PC1066, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, what is the CPU voltage set to? Look in BIOS under PC Health, and see what it really is, as the TH7II tends to undervolt.

Another thing to check: is your PCI/AGP ratio set to locked? If not, running at an FSB of 133 makes the PCI and AGP bus run way out of spec, which could also give the symptoms you see.

You mean you can use PC 1066 16 bit modules on the TH7 II with out a problem? Will the motherboard be ok with it if I use PC 1066? I want to use PC 1066 with my CPU or my 1.6a instead of using the 300 setting. The better the bandwidth will be if have PC1066 set on my processor.

Last edited:
I just answered your question in another thread (here: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1125385 ). There are issues with pc1066 that lock up your board if you overclock too high. The only way to unlock it is to use PC800 again.

Most people agree it is safer to overclock PC800 to PC1066. Anyway, it may just be the DRCGs that won't do what you want them to do. In that case PC1066 won't help either.

I've tried them all

I've boost my volts up to 1.6 (that's the higest I could get due to heat) also I set my memory at 300 and fixed my AGP and I get them same result everytime, @130 it boots to windows and runs for a minute then stops, @131 it won't even get into windows and so on.

It is hardly impossible to get a 2.4 with 100MHz FSB to 133MHz FSB. That would result in a real clock of 3192MHz. That is nearly impossible with a 2.4 GHz CPU... It is remarkable that you get it to 129!!

So you have to increase your voltage dramatically and I would not do that.

BTW: You can't run 133MHz WITHOUT overclocking the CPU at the same time! The multiplier is locked: 24x100=2.4GHz; 24x133=3192!!

Merkor

yeah that's what he means, the 2.4b not the 2.4a :)

I will be attempting the same thing as soon as my 2.4b comes in and i'll give you my experience, but i've heard that certain BIOS do not actually FIX the AGP/PCI as claimed, the only ones I know of are the last revision by Mr. Natural 7E? and the very latest official release from ABIT, check ur BIOS and make sure ur running one of these or else your AGP/PCI won't be fixed even if it says it is :) I'm running the old 38.boo revision by Mr Natural and it doesn't fix the AGP/PCI.

Further, you may need to go get a better HSF to cool more so you can up the voltge, I hear 1.65 is usually fine on the 'b' revisions of the P4, I know a few people running them at 1.7 and 1.8 :) but they have water and evaporators respectivley.

but i've heard that certain BIOS do not actually FIX the AGP/PCI as claimed,

if so would I be able to run at 129 fsb if my agp/pci were not truly fixed, And I think I have the latest bios from abit, but not sure and I would like to try Mr Natural's 7e. Can someone give me a link to get the 7e bios? My power supply is the 400w antec. So that is not the problem.
Thanks

Last edited:
So what do you have? 2.4 w/100MHz FSB or 133MHz FSB??

If you only can reach 129MHz FSB you UNDERCLOCK your CPU when it is a 133MHz model. Or do you want to overclock with a 100MHz model??

Merkor

?
I hear 1.65 is usually fine on the 'b' revisions of the P4,

I have tried to set the voltage up, but at 1.6 this thing really starts to get hot, like about 53C idle, so I didn't want to go any higher.

I have 533 mhz fsb, which is the whole problem, why can't I at least get it to 133, why do I have to underclock? I think the processor is overheating that's why at 130 I can get in to windows but everything is just real slow and it crashes after a minute or two. Does this mean I just have a bad processor

Last edited:
Nope, not a bad processor, and likely not bad ram either, just bad temps as you've said. 53C idle is WAY too hot for IDLE operation, are you just using the retail HSF? You might consider a Volcano 7+ at least with a high rpm fan (may be noisy but it's a possible solution). I'll be giving my 2.4b a test run on monday and i'll post any results to help. Oh one more thing what's the setup of fans/cooling for your case?

Originally posted by RazeOrc
53C idle is WAY too hot for IDLE operation, are you just using the retail HSF? You might consider a Volcano 7+ at least with a high rpm fan (may be noisy but it's a possible solution).
Yea I agree....But I think the stock heatsink should be fine with no over clock! As long as this is a 533 chip. Are you using the thermal pad on the heatsink or Artic silver 3? I would suggest artic silver 3....scrape off the pad, clean heat sink and cpu with acetone. Rub a fair amount AS3 into the heat sink then wipe it off good with a lint free rag (don't use acetone this time). Now apply about 1/2 the size of a grain of rice of AS3 onto the cpu and spred it as evenly as possible (it's hard to get it even with this small amount, but try). Now put your heat sink on and try it again.

I've heard that Artic Silver 3 only takes away about 3 - 5 C from the CPU Temp. So how much help is it really?

The point of my post was not really the AS3 but weather or not your heat sink is on correctly....because your temps are way too high. Have you tried other chips on this board? Also are you sure it's a 2.4b ....because it's acting like a 2.4a. What are the last 5 letters in the prod code on the box?

I think I installed the heatsink on right, I followed all the directions, but I did use the pad that came with it. No I haven't tried another chip, don't have one to use,
Prod Code: BX80532PE2400DSL684

Well thats a BO stepping 2.4b....you can see here . Did you ever find out what bios number you have....because I seem to remember you need a bios that supports a 533 chip. Also make sure your multiplyer is set 18(18x133mhz=2394mhz).

Back