• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade type question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crash16

not sure if this is the best area for it...

i got win98se right now and i get alot of BSOD's and after playing games the computer will be sluggish will upgradeing to winXP solve this problem or is it something else?

It could be a whole lot of things.....With the hardware you have right now, XP will make much better use of it that Windows 98. You will most probably get fewer BSODs, but it may or may not continue to be sluggish. That does happen, though....Especially after playing games and such. The main reason for you is Windows 98. It has terrible memory management. In my honest opinion, the best thing you can do to avoid sluggishness is to restart after a gaming session. That will free up used memory and such...If you ask me, you should definitely have XP, just because it will better utilize your hardware. I can't guarantee that it will alleviate your problems, though.

Z

Back