• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hack?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This window just pops up. Many times, there are several of them open. They are all minimized to the taskbar. The image attached is what it looks like when I open it.

I refuse to install any sort of firewall/virus type program on my computer.

Even as I write this out now, the window just popped up minimized. Then it just disappears??

Originally posted by Bonka I refuse to install any sort of firewall/virus type program on my computer.

Out of curiousity why do you refuse to install anything that may protect you ?

Why not put protection on your computer. You lock yours at home and work. Most people lock there cars and all kinds of other things, why not your computer. If every body had protection the net would be alot safer. Yor buy insurance for your health,car,house. Buy a little for your computer, it's cheep.
Mull

Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP if you don't have a home network or remotely connect to MS machines.

If you don't run any print servers or open shares, you can disable the service "Server" to prevent those system shares from being exposed on the internet.

I can understand not installing a firewall program but at least install anti-virus of some sort. I won't use a firewall program either, I much prefer a hardware one. Get AVG Anti-Virus and install that. Then get a firewall or router of some kind, should be able to pick up a one-port for pretty cheap now.

Software firewalls are really a pain in the rear if they notify you or ask you questions all the time, like ZoneAlarm does. I know that that can be disabled so you don't have to worry about it, but sometimes it still messes things up. If I were you I would get a hardware firewall/gateway/router. Once configured, most of your ports are blocked or can be blocked, your IP adress is masked, etc.. That doesn't sound like a hack attack...That's a little too blatant of an attack. I could be wrong, but that sounds like either spyware you installed along with P2P software or a Virus. Try running both AdAware and an antivirus scanner like PandaSoft's Active Scan (free online scan, no download or install). Watch what you remove with AdAware, though, as if you have P2P programs, most require the presence of their spyware or won't work.

Z

Yes you are getting probed. Someone is trying to connect to a null hidden($) share:IPC$. Basically they scanned for port 139 and found you. They are now trying to establish a share. They may already have one, check your user dat, but if they know what they are doing they cna wipe and own. What OS are you using and I can tell you how to secure this a little, but what you really do need is a firewall. Also run a scan on your machine just to get an idea:

http://www.dslreports.com/scan

Looks like he's using Windows 2000. I'd be freaked if I saw those kinda windows popping up on my computer. Luckily that's never happened to me. How common are these kind of attacks?

Its not common that the person is trying force the password. Mostly people move on if they find protected shares. Scans are fairly common and it depends on the exploit. Looking for null shares is a fairly common hack. Leaving un-passed default shared resourses is also way too common.

For 2k just:

A. Open Regedit
B. Connect to the following:
C. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE--System--CurrentControlSet--Control--Lsa-->restrictanonymous
D. Change the "Value Data" from 0 to 1. It should say 0x00000001(1)
E. That will disable remote logon to a null IPC$
F. Always have a complicated administrator password with Windows2000 or any other OS
G. Install a firewall.

That is wierd. I have never seen that either. I have a Linksys router with a built in fire wall, and I had zonealarm for the longest time. I'll gladly be bothered clicking yes to have protection. I run Norton Antivirus. Why do you refuse to have protection?

Bonka said:
This window just pops up. Many times, there are several of them open. They are all minimized to the taskbar. The image attached is what it looks like when I open it.

I refuse to install any sort of firewall/virus type program on my computer.

Even as I write this out now, the window just popped up minimized. Then it just disappears??

Sounds like you are owned (rooted) by someone.

I.E. someone has managed to install a lame trojan on your box.

I use a few progys, I know you don't want to use a firewall. Mine never bothers me, but takes some setup.

Kerio (firewall)
Proxomation (Software proxy, blocks pop-ups)
Active-Ports (shows all connected ports and you can kill connections)
Ad-Aware (kills that spyware)

Those are the first 4 things I install after loading a new computer. Good luck.

Last edited:
Gonna be hard to get rid of without a virus scanner. :( Might want to re-think your policy on that, the pros far outweigh the cons. Honestly though Bonka, anyone who uses the Internet should have a firewall and anti-virus. I don't really understand the reluctance, you will feel much more secure with than without (maybe even prevent something like this in the future).

Back