• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Product Key Confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

When I installed XP, I entered a product key that contained a combination of letters (mostly) and numbers. When I pull up the "Systems Property" dialog box, under "Registered to:", a number appears that is all numbers and looks nothing at all like the alpha-numeric product key used when XP was installed. How do I find what product key I used when I installed XP? We have two machines and two product keys but I have lost track which was installed on which machine. I am not sure it matters but it has me curious.

Sounds to me like the product key used when you need to call up MS for a problem, you're looking for the registration key I believe it's called.

that numper under "registered to:" is not suposed to be your cd key its something else

RhoXS said:
How do I find what product key I used when I installed XP?
You can't because XP converts the product key to the system's product ID. Exposing this product ID opens security concerns around the product ID generation process and the security of the product key. Therefore, make sure you keep track of all product keys you use..... ;)

The only time you'll ever need the exact same one is when/if you reinstall the OS over the existing copy.

The easiest way to remember is to put the CD-Key sticker on the side of the computer. (or on the inside, if you don't like it on the outside).

If you need to reinstall the OS and you try to register using one of the CD-keys and it says that that key is already used by a different computer and to call customer service or something to that affect, just try a different CD-key. It isn't a big deal. I agree that you should place the appropriate CD-key sticker on the inside of the machine it corresponds to. If you put it on the CD, it makes the CD wobble at high rpms and could damage or destroy the CD, drive, or both if it shatters at speed (which has been reported as happening to many people as CDs spin faster and faster). The "registered to:" field indicates who or which company the software is registered by. If there is a number in that field, it doesn't need to be there, I don't think. Somewhere in the registry there is a key that covers teh text in this field and you can change it to your name or your company's name if you wish (I think that's what that field is for anyway...).

Z

In Windows 98, the raw CD-Key was kept in the registry. I havn't yet had to try to recover it on 2k or XP, but it might still be in there somewhere.
Try searching for one of the sets of letters & numbers and see if anything comes up.

Thanks for all the advice. I ultimately did find a small app that displays the product key. I tried it and it seems to work perfectly. I have both keys that were used for the installs and the keys this app displays exactly matches them. Now I know which was used for which machine.

I can see no reason why this app would be used for nefarious purposes. However, too many people are too paranoid about getting anywhere near the subject of product keys. If one of the moderators states there is no problem, I will post the link to the site where I found it. This seems to be a good site in other respects because they have some good info about using the repair console.

RhoXS said:

I can see no reason why this app would be used for nefarious purposes. However, too many people are too paranoid about getting anywhere near the subject of product keys.

that's why i didn't post a link. :p
i wasn't too sure if it was allowed.
glad you got it sorted.

Last time someone brought this up, it was a huge problem. They did post a link, but the site also had warez. I was afraid to even mention that this sort of software even exists! I was hoping you'd read between the lines. Glad that you've solved the problem.

I don't see how an application like this could be lumped in with warez or other things. All it does is show you which registration key you've used. Very useful in situations where multiple copies are being used.

Neoplasia said:
I don't see how an application like this could be lumped in with warez or other things. All it does is show you which registration key you've used. Very useful in situations where multiple copies are being used.
I don't think the problem was with this particular app. The problem was the link to the app which also pointed to other warez as well.

Skip has made it very clear that he personally could get in trouble if illegal software is even discussed here, much less bringing OC.com to an end. And whenever someone brings up something like this that is in the gray area, it seems as though someone else goes sailing right off of the edge, and the thread gets deleted. So I allways try to err on the side of caution. Better safe than sorry.

I realize that, but realistically mentioning illegal software cannot shut this or any other place down. Now if it was being endorsed or distributed yes of course. But learning about them is very important to people in the computer field, we need to know what's out there. This however, from what I know is completely legit. I've used it myself and all it does is show the key you put in when installing. Really handy if you're like me and lose everything lol. :D

Discussion of Warez, crackz, and pirated copyrighted material is not permitted in this forum. Any offer to provide or request to receive warez, crackz, and bootleg material will be deleted without notice and the offender will be warned. A repeat offense is grounds for permanent dismissal, without recourse, from these forums. -Skip
No, I don't think there is anything wrong with this particular utility, but it comes close to the line.

Why can someone get into trouble for just discussing this topic, or any other for that matter? I do not believe we live in a society that prosecutes a person for simply discussing illegal activities. I am not a lawyer (thankfully!!) but I believe our constitutional right of free speech allows us to discuss anything we want without fear of prosecution. To engage in warez activities is certainly illegal. However, I cannot understand why it is illegal to discuss them anymore than it is illegal to discuss the motives and methods of the maniac that is currently causing so many horrible problems in the DC area. I find it very disturbing when people become afraid of what they or someone else might say.

Having said this, I have to acknowledge that I am only a user of this forum that someone else has gone to a lot of effort to make it available. Therefore, I certainly think it is very reasonable to follow the rules that have been established, no matter if I agree or disagree wioth them. However, it is just very disturbing when I hear people being afraid to discuss certain subjects. I just had to state my 2 cents worth because the right of free speech is a constitutional right that is one of the major cornerstones of our society.

Back