• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX-7 removal off a Epox 8K3A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

Well I wanted to take my AX-7 off my Epox 8K3A board tonight to install and test 2 unlocked chips, an 1800XP and a 1600.

Was not as easy as I thought, slipped 2 times trying gouged mobo thought I killed it. Luckily I put back together and seems to be fine. What is the easiest method to remove this sink, it is a bugger!!!!

Cisco KId

yeah thats what I though I would be hearing, removing this thing BLOWS I gotta get some kind of pad to protect mobo:( :(

cisco kid

Looks like it's even harder to remove than install.

If you have any old credit cards laying around, cut a piece from it just enough to fit under the clip so that if the screwdriver slips, it'll hit the hard plastic and not your mobo. That's what I do.

You can also try using a nut driver of appropriate size to work the clip on or off. This will pretty much eliminate the possibility of fragging the board if you slip...Not sure what size is needed, but just get a set of them and use the one that fits best... :D

Cisco,

The Spyder has already said it, the right sized screw driver.

I've used the AX7 in the past (still the best buy for the money) and am now using a SLK800. With the right sized screw driver it is a piece of cake to install and remove either. With the wrong size, it is extremely difficult and easy to kill your mobo. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know but just reenforcing. :cool:

There is a tool which is mainly used in aircraft building (real ones) ... tried to look on the web for a link of it. But alas, I could not find one nor remember its proficient name. Yet this is a very simple concept that you can improvise yourself if you wont find the original tool.
I am talking about a sort of head cover for the screwdriver. It has a sort of a C shape, at one end it has a hole through which the screwdriver goes. The other end is forked to embrace the screw. The screwdriver cannot slip, further more it does not easily leave the screw (in some position you can actually leave the screwdriver hanging on the screw). This is definitely an over kill unless you are really not good with your hands / the screws are real ******* or you really do this thing a lot and ready to reach further for comfort.
If somebody know what I am talking about and can find a picture of the tool I am thinking of it will be nice. Since I believe I have not made my self clear enough yet I can not find a better way to describe it…. Maybe I will draw it..

maxima88 said:
Looks like it's even harder to remove than install.

If you have any old credit cards laying around, cut a piece from it just enough to fit under the clip so that if the screwdriver slips, it'll hit the hard plastic and not your mobo. That's what I do.

this is a good idea. i do something different though. i take one of my wife's round cotton makeup remover thingys and cut it in half. i place it between the capacitors (ecs k7s5a) and the lugs and make sure it is flat against the mobo. if i slip, (which i have), the cotton can and will absorb the shock. as others have said, the right screwdriver, flathead etc. does help. i use one with a small enough tip so that i can basically wedge it in that part of the clip.
sorry for the rambling. ;)

The cut up credit card works well, kept me from hitting my Epox board once. Then I figured I slipped cause I didn't have my large flathead straight up and down (vertical). It's a big one; the flathead is over a 1/4 inch wide. I use it to put downward pressure on the top part of the clip while I use one of those really small flatheads in the slot to pry the clip off of the socket. I read doing it like this somewhere in the Forums before and it works like a snap, easy on, easy off. Couldn't see doing it as easily any other way.

I find it workes best just to take the hole mobo out. Its a little more work then usal but it could mean the diffence from a dead mobo and a living one :D

athlonman

I use a small head screwdriver that fits in the clip thingy. It is tough to get off but I havent slipped yet and I've taken my AX7 off several times on my 8k3a and my 8kha+. Great HS btw. It is comparable to the swifty mcx472 I had.

i put a screwdriver behind the clip and twist it so that it forces the clip off the lugs as mine the little hook part snaped off. so thats how i do it.

cool thanks for all the replies guys, lotsa different ideas, I will use the credit card idea and a large flat head with direct vertical pressure

i will remove the board from case as I find this easier than doing from in case.

cisco kid

also, instead of a credit card, you could use a peice of cardboard paper. Not actual cardboard, but the thin, paper like, cardboard. Just lay a peice next to the socket on the mobo.

yeah... *memories*
ive experiened that on the stock amd heatsink. i could not get it on/off. i used a skrew driver that slipped badly. thank god for my iwill xp333 it has protectors right where it slipped.

the best thing to do is get a very nice fat skrewdriver and put some kind of padding on the motherboard. with the right angle and preasure you should be fine

It is a tight old buzzard. Using a relatively thick LONG screwdriver has been easiest for me. It gives more leverage to bend the clip out, when you push down. Also, a bit of tape, (masking, duct) on the tip helps keep it from slipping in the clip as well as reducing the scratch quotient.

I have found that I have had to use another tool to pry off the clip as mentioned by another poster. I do use those ultra small flat head screwdrivers [for eyeglasses or cameras]; it fits right in that leverage point nice and tight.

I got a screw driver that has the end of it bent a little bit and its perfect for taking off and putting on heatsinks, its the perfect shape, no slipping, gets it perfect everytime

Back