• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8K3AE and HSFs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sokkan

Registered
Heard that HSFs like the Volcano 9 has problems attaching to the 8K3AE board. Since I'm looking to buying this combination along with my new XP2000+, could someone please tell me if it's true?

Thanks

I don't know about the Volcano 9 specifically but this board WILL accomodate an MCX462. I hope that this will give you an idea regarding how much clearance the socket region has.

~THT

yeah this is all true
sinks like a AX7 or the volcano 7 and 9 wotn fit at all but the swiftech MCX462 will fit
and rabbit this board may not be made for OCing
but it still has all the options for doing it
it even has the option to up the AGP voltage

Umm...isn't the 8K3AE just an 8K3A with one less PCI slot? If it is, it should be one of the best considering how the OCing heights people they've reached with it.

~THT

So i take it the Volcano 9 doesnt fit the 8K3AE, hermm, how good are the MCX462's? If anyone knows, coz i need to find a good hsf for my AE.....

ok guys
the alpha wont fit on this board
however the swiftech will because the edges of the sink have been cut off so to fit around any obsticals in the way of the sink
and btw i used to have a MCX462 with a 50cfm sunon fan on it
and it kicked much ħ§

Yeah, my MCX462 w/ 50CFM Delta did a great job of cooling...best air cooling HSF I've used. My only gripe is with the process of putting it on and taking it off...such a pain!

~THT

thanks spoon and tophat, i think im gonna get a MCX462, but all i could see on heatsink fatory were MCX462U and MCX462+......r these the same kinds? If not, which is better....?

I just got my sk7 and it dosen't fit, i trimmed down the cleats and got it to fit but when you install the fanclips they hit the caps.

So i just took the dremmel to the ax7 and cut the last two fins on each side in half and its now tall enough to get over the caps.

so now i have a big lump of sk7 copper i need to do something with, maybe i can find another way to attach the fan.

Also does anyone know if this board reads the temp from the xp internal diode or from under the socket?

Last edited:
Back